A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triptronic question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triptronic question

Hello,

New poster here. I have a 00 ming blue A8 that I've owned for about three years (I'm keeping it for a while now that I have a new transmission). I've never been able to figure out a quirk with my triptronic. In 2nd, the engine/rpms balk a bit as I pass thru ~2900 rpms. The dealer's response was "well, its a complex system..." That didn't quite satisfy me so I made a tech drive an 01 and it was the same result i.e., "that's the way the work." Is there some way to reprogram? I'm assuming there is a separate chip for triptronic, right? any thoughts?
Old 08-28-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Triptronic question

Hi, and welcome!

Yes there is a separate control unit for the gearbox. There are 'chips' available, and often it can be recoded with Vag Com.

Could you tell a bit more about the 'balk'? What does it do exactly, and does that only occur in 2nd gear?

I suggest you do a search here, plenty on 'gearbox', 'thumping', 'hunting', etc.

Also see <a href="www.audipages.com">audipages.com</a> if you haven't already!
Old 08-28-2004, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Triptronic question

I'll take a look in the places you mention. First, I should say that it is not a fatal fault, just an annoyance. Also, I am not a terribly sophisticated driver/owner although I am now quite fond of my A8 and plan to invest more time and $ to make it better.

Under med-hard acceleration as the tach rolls thru ~2700-3000 rpm (let's say 2900 for this example) the rpms will briefly drop back down to 2700 or 2800 and then the car will pick up speed and power again. It's 100% repeatable. there are no thumps or jerks, just a loss of momentum and power. It is right when I am expecting the the engine to be at the beginning of its move towards its power sweet spot but it backs off and and then picks up again. It is only in triptronic and only in 2nd. I'm guessing there is something in the program that changes inputs right at that point. I would have let this issue go long ago if I had not gotten such a summary brush-off from the dealer.

wks
Old 08-28-2004, 06:54 PM

Default How odd...

I can't think of anything else as some weird electronic glitch, as you suggested yourself.

Especially since it only appears in Tip, and then only in 2nd gear.

The dealer response is typical, but unacceptable IMO. It might be a good idea to go over his head, or make it clear to him you will not accept this. Particularly since you just got a new gearbox...
Old 08-28-2004, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I just recently noticed it on my S4 tip

It started doing it after I got my car back for K-04 turbo install. Slight dip in RPM in 2nd gear anywhere from 2500-3000 RPM depending on throttle. Mine only does this when cold not when warmed up. I dont lose any momentum or power however...hrmmmmm
Old 08-29-2004, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Happens w/ mine too, but only when I keep a steady and light pressure on the gas

pedal. The transmission sees that as non-aggressive driving and then changes up a gear, hence the drop in RPMs. If you try the same but with steadily increasing pressure to the pedal, it won't do similarly.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:08 AM

Default Don't think wk was talking upshift

At least, I'm under the impression it holds back and then picks up again in the same gear. Which makes it so strange.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:23 AM

Default no, I'm locked in second by way of tip

thanks for the comments. When I can find a more responsive servicer I'll take another look. I'd like to reprogram the transm anyway to sport mode. It's the behavior of the normal transm that goads me into using the tip anyway.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, I don't know abut triptronic.... my car has TIPtronic
Old 08-29-2004, 06:53 AM

yes, thanks for noticing the typo...but it does trip in my case

Quick Reply: Triptronic question