A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signals and wipers inop at same time

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turn signals and wipers inop at same time

In its relentless endeavor to keep me entertained, my 98 A8 D2 has developed a new problem: failure of both the windshield wipers and the turn signals. I had them both fail at the same time, without warning; then shortly later they magically started working again; now they're out for good. Washer doesn't work either. Hazard flashers do work. My best guess would be some loose or corroded connector in or under the steering column, though I'm not married to that theory. Has anyone else had this failure? Is there a common connector for those two systems? Thanks in advance, Z
1998 A8Q (D2) 145k

Last edited by Zumkopf; 07-20-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Used to see this in the original (1990) Audi V8 regularly (we had two). Lights need to be relalyed because if not, contacts at the switch overheat and melt. You'll have to get switch out, clean connections, possibly splice in some new wires and then relay everything.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this thing where every time I disconnect the battery the wipers will run for a couple of minutes the first time I turn the ignition on again. And sometimes even if the battery hasn't been disconnected. I have a bunch of more pressing issues so I haven't looked into it, but please report here what you find, might be the same part failing in both our cars.

Oh and btw I have current diagrams if you need something specific let me know.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UncleSam
I have current diagrams if you need something specific let me know.
Yes, actually. I think the issue is a connector somewhere in or near the steering column. A diagram that shows what connectors there are and where they’re located would be great.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I don't have the wiring for the D2 anymore, but

I would check if they share a ground. 22years could cause some corrosion at ground points.

Originally Posted by Zumkopf
In its relentless endeavor to keep me entertained, my 98 A8 D2 has developed a new problem: intermittent failure of both the windshield wipers and the turn signals. I had them both fail at the same time, without warning; then shortly later they magically started working again; now they're on vacation again. Washer doesn't work either. Hazard flashers do work. My best guess would be some loose or corroded connector in or under the steering column, though I'm not married to that theory. Has anyone else had this failure? Is there a common connector for those two systems? Thanks in advance, Z
1998 A8Q (D2) 147k
Old 07-19-2020, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well, now I know what it isn't. Still stumped.

I pulled the steering column shroud and the panel under the dash, but could see nothing at all wrong with any of the wiring. All the connections are tight, no damage to the wiring itself. I pulled the switch units and checked the continuity pin by pin for both turn signal and wiper stalks; both have continuity at all active settings. They do not share a common fuse or relay that I can see in any wiring diagram. I'm stumped as to what to try next. Thoughts?

Thanks, Z
1998 Audi A8Q D2 145k

Last edited by Zumkopf; 07-20-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried turning the ignition key back and forth a little bit when the wipers do not work? It's possible that the ignition switch is faulty.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Problem solved.

It turns out there is a "load relay" that does not show up in any wiring diagram I have, but which in fact takes the signals from some of the steering column stalks and supplies power to the relevant components as commanded. Replaced, and all is well again.

Z 1998 A8Q 145k
Old 10-19-2020, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zumkopf
It turns out there is a "load relay" that does not show up in any wiring diagram I have, but which in fact takes the signals from some of the steering column stalks and supplies power to the relevant components as commanded. Replaced, and all is well again.

Z 1998 A8Q 145k
Hey man I'm having the same issue, could you please detail your fix? What relay and where? Much appreciated
Old 03-17-2021, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Steve Mikaric
Hey man I'm having the same issue, could you please detail your fix? What relay and where? Much appreciated
Sorry, I cannot shed any light on this, because I threw up my hands and took it to a local Audi expert. He was the one who told me what it was. Cost about $200 including diagnosis, parts and labor.

Quick Reply: Turn signals and wipers inop at same time