A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On upcoming S and RS models....Facts or PR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On upcoming S and RS models....Facts or PR?

The following is culled from Jin Xao, from the RS.com forum:

" Information about the next generation S-line model and RS-model...

HI, my name is Jin Xao, I am new to this forum. I work as a reporter in a popular Car Magazine in China. Lately, we have an interview with the chief of Audi AG China Mr. Kevin McCann, regarding the Debut of Audi in China and the future High Performance model lineup in China (regarding the S-line model and the RS-line model, since right now in china we only have the normal version of the entire Audi lineup). I appologize for my bad english translation, and I hope these information will be helpful to you.

According to Mr. McCann, he told us Audi AG has enter into a new era in performance aspect after the S4 and RS6 is debut in 2004. Audi AG will continue to boost their development into the next generation S-line model and RS-line Model to cope with their European counter-part, such as Mercedes Benz and BMW. Although, Audi AG is not intend to unveil any major detail at this point, but one thing it is sure about Audi AG is she will never let lose in the game. He told us that Audi AG will continue to apply its motto "we never follows" into their upcoming model. "One of the example is the introduction of the New S4 (B6). We bring some new prespective into the market. We introduce a new V8 engine in this segment." said Mr. McCann. "However, that's only the start of an new era in Audi AG, that's I am very sure." he added. According to Mr. McCanne, the new RS4 is already under major development. He is not willing to provide any details on this model, but he said a configaration similar with the RS6 which is going to debut in 2004 would be likely. He added Audi AG is intended to drop their force induction application in all of their S-line model. All S-line model will be in a N/A engine from the smallest displacement V6 to the largest displacement the W12. The S3 will use the smallest displacement V6 with 240HP, which is currently being use in the Volkswagen Golf R32. The S4 will use a new V8 with 343HP, the next generation S6 will use a V10 with 450HP which is similar to the one being use in Lamborghini Gallardo!! The S8 will use a W12 engine with 500HP.
He also told us although the whole S-line model will be a N/A engine setup, however Audi AG will still keep their force induction application which is a Bi-turbo setup to all of their RS-line model in order to archieve the power they want.

"We (Audi AG) talk about serious business here." He said. Audi AG predicted that China will be one of their major market in 5 to 10 years. "With a total popullation of 1.5 billion in china, I don't think anyone can afford to miss their market share here." He added.

With a little sum up with Audi's future High Performance to their EU counter-part are as follow:

Mercedes Benz New C55 AMG--- N/A V8 367HP
BMW New M3 (4 door), New M4 (2 door)--- N/A V8 400HP
Audi AG NEW S4 --- N/A V8 343
Audi AG NEw RS4--- Bi-turbo V8 420-450HP

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG-- Supercharge V8 469HP
BMW New M5 -- N/A V10 500HP+
Audi AG NEW S6-- N/A V10 450HP
Adui AG NEW RS6-- Bi-turbo V10 ??HP

P.S. I hope these information will be helpful. Since I am a newcomer to this forum, if there is already something similar to this post, I am sorry for the repost. As I am also a serious Audi fans, it is nice to meet u guys here.

Enjoy and Be Proud of your Audi! "
Old 02-23-2004, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default seems about right to me

remember that the rs6 is already out as a 2003 car, so i would not expect a new rs6 model until after the s6 had debuted next year - although i would expect a tt-v10. i would expect the n/a v10 for both the s6 and the s8 though with a slightly higher state of tune for the s8 - although a study of mb shows that this isn't necessarily so.

remember that audi has reserved the rs-badge for towards the end of the model, whereas the s-badge comes out much sooner.

for various reasons which i will not into here i do not ecpect the w12 to be the s8 engine - i see the v10 as a much better alternative.

anyway, its going to be an exciting 2-3 years for audi fans with audi getting more serious about performance cars since the early days of the quattro and the sport quattro.

$0.02
Old 02-23-2004, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Gus!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Apparently, Audi's S models really are here to stay.

However, I was correct about Audi's RS models becoming a regular part of Audi's lineup (and rightfully so) and no longer being relegated to end of life kickers (which, IMO, was appauling and pathetic). I agree wholeheartedly with you skiwi that the new S8 and RS8 will have a V10 and not a W12 for various reasons (cost, fuel economy, emissions, packaging, etcetera).
Old 02-23-2004, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you, Gus
Old 02-23-2004, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The new RS6 due out in mid 2006 for 2007...

will have a twin turbocharged 4.2L or 4.5L V8 with direct fuel injection producing 500-550 hp. This, despite the fact that the new S6 (due out in late 2005 for 2006) will have a 5L V10 with DFI producing 450-500 hp. The new RS6 will not have a twin turbocharged 5L V10 due to inefficient packaging, high costs, lower fuel economy and more difficulty meeting or exceeding what will be by far the most stringent US emissions standard ever from 2005 onward.