A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE: on the great car shake/shudder

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default A few notes

1. Cylinder 4 and 5 are on different banks (sides of the engine) and they are powered from different POS'.

2. I would swap POS' and try again and get the new codes.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree that is an easy and cheap test-the only code other than missfires seems to point to

fuel/mixture issue and this can be from so many sources-the mixture can be affected by too much or too little air or too much or too little fuel.
The fuel is the easiest of these to check in the absence of a working vagcom
Swapping the POS will confirm if the problem is electrical as the codes will follow
the fact it is 4 and 5 consistently may offer clues.
You spoke of damage to number five in an earlier post?? it this a possible cause??
Old 11-20-2007, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would guess the fuel code is due to the unburnt fuel in one bank

I would have to go back and look it up, but the fuel code was for one specific bank....I bet the misfiring cylinder is on that bank.

I think he has only one misfiring cylinder, not two.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default well.. threw up the white flag and took it to the $tealer

said when they put it on their vag they got more codes than the 4 i had

they said, oxygen sensor was malfunctioning, i had a head gasket leakage which was soaking cylinder #4 (i think he meant #5, i knew about that) and said they would need to change out the spark plugs, even though they're about a year old!!!

i said, can't you just check the POS.. said it wasn't the POS

fine.... go ahead... well they did the above mentioned repairs..... guess what, the 4 codes were still there!!!!!!!!

he called back and left a message... said, "we think it's a bad ECU".... $hit i thought to myself.

i called him back about an hour later.... said it wasn't the ECU but now they think its the POS.... WTF!!!! "i told u guys to check the POS first" i said to him.... so now they want to charge me $377 for the POS and an hour labor (discount of 1/2 hour for my troubles), how nice of them

the damm POS part is only about $135 from Autohaus Arizona

what do i tell these guyz now... what if that damm POS is replaced and still an issue

i'm soooooo pissed that my VAG-COM wasn't working to try the POS myself... now costing me about $1500 in repairs!!!! $hit $hit $hit!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you needed the gasket then it is a job well done and the new o2 will

also be well recieved by the engine.

Ask if they generated a readiness code or did basic settings before rechecking the codes

A discount would be in order given your own suggestion was ignored and later found to be faulty
Old 11-21-2007, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hate to say it

But all you need is vag-com and a little time to swap things around.

You had a cylinder not firing right, it could only be a few things. Bad coil pack, bad power output stage, bad ECU, bad wiring or mechanically stuck injector.

I think you figured everything out except the POS. And you need vag-com.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll apologize now for interjecting,I would like ask a ? have BASICS been verified ?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Looks like it was the POS!!!!! damm!!! $377 + 1hr labor to install

what a ripoff!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well......... went to pickup the car last nite

got the bill $1499.82!!!!!!!

they replaced all 8 spark plugs $15each
they replaced O2 sensor $212.50
they replaced the POS $377
they replaced headgaskets $114

they charged me $735 labor........... WTF!!!!!

well, after getting the shock over the phone about total bill.... i was told in passing "oh, the TAPE you have on your power brake is loose, and braking is a bit hard"..... what???? what tape??? i don't even know where the power booster hose is let a lone that it was taped!!!!

well.. when i got there 7pm, unpacked my rental and put everything in my car, i started to drive... i couldn't even stop the damm car, the pedal was hard as heck to press down!!! can you believe they were going to let me drive the car home like this???!!! i could have killed myself or someone else!! i almost hit a parked car in their lot.

i put the car in reverse and called for the service manager (he was the one that cashed me out). told him WTF, "the car doesn't have brakes", he tried it himself, yeap!! told me to keep the rental, got out his cell phone and i think he called the service rep and yelled at him for not addressing the issue, said they didn't have the brake hose to replace it with.

i also noticed that when the service manager was trying to drive the car, the rear brake lights (white) were on as he was driving.

regardless.... they took the car out several times trying to get it fixed (3days) and yesterday was the first mention of a hard brake pedal. is this an attempt by them to cover up an accident to the brake line, or could the there have been a piece of tape on the line for the 3yrs i've had this car and it is now just starting to leak/loose pressue... i've got 110,000 miles on the car 60k of those i put on since i've had it.

how long would a piece of tape hold pressure anyways????
Old 11-22-2007, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It sounds like you need a car with a warranty.

Obviously the dealer can sell you anything they want.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: on the great car shake/shudder