A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it just the picture or do the ones with the broken electrodes not have that shiny

mark on the plug where it is seated in the cylinder head?

just curious but asking questions for curiousity sake

Is it possible they did not seat well? possible defect? came loose? and then started losing combustion which led to an odd fuel mixture in the cylinder causing an irratic firing?

I do not know about your engine, but when I went to change my plugs I was given tapered seat ones, my plugs have the compression seal on them, not a tapered seat.

Is the tapered seat the correct style of plug for your year of car?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Excellent point! Do the rubber coil boots for the 5 damaged plugs appear to have any......

combustion products on them or are melted in comparison to the non-damaged locations? Having combustion gases flowing by the plugs could easily erode the electrodes.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Picture as plugs were installed in motor looking from driver's point of view.

IMHO, typical damadge for detonation, plugs look "lean" - possible MAF sensor, PCV valve, vacuum leak, broken breather hoses, so on...
Old 05-20-2008, 02:45 AM

Default VVVV Some answers. VVVV

The five plugs with missing electrodes did have signs of heat and are a different color. Those plugs were not as tight coming off the cylinders.

I am buying a new torque wrench, as I recall the one I torqued my plugs with I had to return (Autozone cheapie) not too long ago cause it fell apart on me. I am getting one from Sears to torque (22 lbs.) the +4 Bosch that I ordered.

Yes, ricoblanco you're right about the Techron but it could have been bad fuel or dirty injectors the first time I pured some in.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Craftsman FTW!! :-)

Well the Techron has become moot, as <b>Mark'sA8L</b> totally called it with spark plugs not seating properly. Hopefully there's no damage and you will be back in the saddle. Good luck!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To make plugs do that?

If the sparking plug is not seated correctly in the hole, such as if the incorrect base style were selectd or if the plug were not truely cinched down, The HEAT PATH from the combustion chamber through the plug will be incomplete. The sparking plug will operate at a much higher temperature. Hot plugs have a long heat path, cold plugs have a short heat path. Unseated plugs have NO heat path. (the threaded portions are poor substitues)

I would guess that too much heat, along with pre-ignition damaged these plugs.

On the topic of "Hot coil packs". It must be understood that the spark jumps the plug gap at the LOWEST POSSIBLE VOLTAGE. The capacity of the coil does not effect this. This all follows Volts/resistance/amperage fundamentals.

If none of the bits got hung up on the way past the valves, I doubt there will be any lasting trouble. An imbedded bit of steel could result in a hot spot that will promote future detonation however. Time for a look at the combustion chambers with a flexible bore scope!

Cal
Old 05-20-2008, 04:17 AM

VVV THANKS to all of you for the response and assistance. Audiworld Forum rocks.VVV
Old 05-20-2008, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

make sure you use anti-sieze. Real easy to x-thread if they don't go in smoothly
Old 05-20-2008, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Added this thread to the FAQ, so don't delete those pictures
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Where do them electrodes go I wonder?

Had one electrode disappear from my I5 cylinder four at Road America a couple years ago. I wished it to have vaporized but two years later that cylinders compression was zilch.
I might suggest a leak down test and compression test to check for any bottom or top end damage. Them electrodes hadda go somewhere:/
Check it out and report back.

Quick Reply: Update on plugs