A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went A8 shopping today.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went A8 shopping today.....

I hit the dealers after a long very wet drive. No A8's in Central California!

I couldn't find much to look at - one fairly nice 98, 50K mi., lease auction car. $30K seemed a little steep.

Also a fairly rough 97, 100K mi, "all there" but not from a loving home. I didn't bother to ask how much.

There was a 2001 "shop loaner" for "about $40K" but when I called back I was told it wasn't for sale yet, and by the way, who said it was? Must be a good shop to have a newer A8 for a loaner!

I took along a copy of Paul's checklistfor reference, so I at least gave the appearance of being knowledgeable. The sales folks didn't seem to notice.

I guess I'll have to keep looking. These things are kind of rare.

Oh by the way, I walked by several 2003 S8's on this trip, newly delivered, but unfortunately out of my price range. I was offered a 2002 S8 for $1 over cost, but that didn't help much!

Did anyone see the ad for the maroon 2002 S8 on Auto Trader? "Branded title", a term I haven't heard before, but apparently it was a "lemon law return"!! Talk about a bad day, for both the dealer and the customer!
Old 12-17-2002, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keep Looking!

Central California? I went to engineering school at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Plenty of A8's available; look on car trader, auto trader, etc on web. You may have to do a Bay area or LA trip once you have narrowed it down to a few look see buy options.

I bought my '99 (silver over black; 50 K mi, all options, very good shape)over a year ago for about $27K. Used EBay, though not sure I would buy that way again.

Main thing is it get a one owner car with service records. If it is a lease car, you can still get owners name via VIN check services.VIN number will also allow you to verify all services with AoA.

The Audi Assured warranty is worth about $3-5K, I would say.

These are superb cars. Silver and black are popular; white and beige much less so. Green and Blue are v attractive. 97's are a bargain; model refresh in 2000.

Lose the Goodyear tires immediately; factor this into your price, They are terrible.

Get your final choice fine comb inspected by a good shop, and have the trans oil/filter replaced straight away.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many more in SoCal.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Went A8 shopping today.....

Just as a sanity check for you ...

Chicagoland market -

The lease res on my '98 A8 is $27K and that comes up in April. The car will have 65,000 miles, give or take at that time.

IMHO, $27,000 will be "too high" for my car, '98's with lower miles are now starting to slip in the mid-20's so there is no reason for me to buy out my lease.

In fact, 2000's with reasonable miles are starting to show up in the mid to high $30K range, which is a smarter option for me given the improvements that were made in that year. Plus, AoA is offering me discounts to swap leases ...
Old 12-17-2002, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hard to find? There are 17 of 'em on eBay!

Worth a look, even if you only use for comparative purposes.

Also worth searching "completed auctions" on eBay to see what's actually sold for what price. (Remember to order search "highest prices first" so you don't have to wade thru A8 wipers and such.)<ul><li><a href="http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&amp;MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&amp;ht=1&amp;from= R7&amp;ebaytag1=ebayreg&amp;query=Audi+A8&amp;quer y2=Audi+A8&amp;search_option=1&amp;exclude=&amp;ca teg
Old 12-17-2002, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Many more in SoCal.

Hi thanks for the reply. So Cal is where i went shopping! There were only 5 or 6 for sale there, and most were riduculously overpriced.

Since then I've developed better leads in Nor Cal. Seems the luxocar market is depressed there. I would love to buy a majorly depeciated S8 from a tech exec who issued that IPO i bought in "00 that tanked!
Old 12-17-2002, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Keep Looking!

Thanks for the reply. Great advice. By the way, I live in SLO. I don't think there is a single A8 in town!

Audi Assured worth $3-5K? Can I expect it to need that much work? Plus factor in that we have no local dealer, so I have to send it to Cutter in Santa Barbara. That means I have to add the cost of a shopping spree for my wife onto the warranty!
Old 12-18-2002, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ahhh. I was on a lot in SoCal about a month ago, and they had 3.

Yes, they always ask high - because you can only ask high once. Just like like your lowest offer is your first offer;-)

Here is what worked for me when I sold cars. This depends on demand for the model of course. Every dealer has an ACV ( actual cash value ) sheet for each used car. It's like an invoice in that it shows the price paid for the car, and the costs in refurbishing it. It may not show the Audi Assured warranty ( if applicable ) so you may need to allow around $400 to 500 for that. Just like buying a new car, you offer X amount over cost. Now on a used car, the margin is usually anywhere from $1000 to $4000 depending on condition and desirability of the car. The ACV is usually a long piece of yellowish card paper, or a computer print-out. It show show vin#, miles, equipment, optional equipment, and any obvious defects the car had when it was taken in.

The NorCal market is more depressed than the SoCal market. That seems to increase inventory, but not lower prices very much. Most purchasers of new A8s are middle aged self made business folks or high end execs.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Keep Looking!

Not sure Audi Assured is worth $3-5k. I purchased a 100k 5 year -0- deductible warranty from WarranTech from my local Audi dealer (supposedly the largest around). I paid $2,000, plus got a cool hat. Price is dependent on vehicle, and mine is a '99 q with 30,500 when purchased the warranty. They tell me I need some seal replaced on the engine - that should about pay for the warranty.

Always a few A8's available in MSP area. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Ahhh. I was on a lot in SoCal about a month ago, and they had 3.

So where was that SoCal lot?

What you say makes sense. When I play hardball, they always say, "let's see what we have in it". Dealers don't lose money!

I think the NorCal market is very soft, although prices vary considerably. 2001 A8, 30K mi, $34995 "negotiable"? it's only a year and a half old for goodness sake!

OhMyGod, am I one of those "self made middle aged dudes"?

Quick Reply: Went A8 shopping today.....