A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's the cheapest way to get a new key for an a8

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the cheapest way to get a new key for an a8

i need a new key since i lost one of mine...what's the cheapest way to get a new cut and programmed key?
Old 07-15-2004, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Ebay!!! I paid 44.99 for the switched blade blank, and the dealer cut it for free!!!!
Old 07-15-2004, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Ebay!!! I paid 44.99 for the switched blade blank, and the dealer cut it for free!!!!

my dealer in toledo says you can only get keys cut in germany for the switch blade style keys...
Old 07-15-2004, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Unless your 2000's is totally different from 98's then your dealer is lying!!! My dealer took the

spare and the blank key (not original material) in the back and 5 minutes later, I got my key grooved nicely. Some stealers wants to charge more money for new key I supposed. Some Ebay seller offered to cut for $15 extra as long as you give them a spare.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default What year is it? 00's and newer are different, must be done by the dealer

Your dealer must not have a key cutter.....but I can't believe that....nothing special about cutting the key, should take 5 minutes.

If you have an 00 and newer, you need to get the new key adapted to the ECU/immobilizer, otherwise it won't start the car.

The dealer is the only one with the codes, and they won't give them out so you can do it with your own vag-com.

They'll have to do it for you if you have an 00 and newer....otherwise bring a blank to your local VW dealer, I'm sure they have a cutter, it's the same key.

pw
Old 07-16-2004, 06:26 AM

Default Just go to the dealer for '00 and later keys...

...believe me.

I got three keys from ebay, had to go to the dealer to get the new blade insert for the remote. They had to order the blade form Germany using the VIN.

Then they have to program the chip in the key to the ignition security system ising a "secret code" only available to the dealer.

Needless to say it would have been easier to just take the car in and have them do the whole thing.

Plan on about $100 per key if I remember it correctly.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The Dealer is not lying

There, I said it. It is painful to say it, but starting in the 2000 A8, there is an additional security measure in the metal key part of the key/remote assembly. When you flip open the key on a 2000, look near the base of the key and it looks like a tiny hole was drilled through the base and filled with a different material. Inside there is an additional bit of electronic kit which identifies the key to the car as authentic.

I got a couple of extra transmitters and keys from a Russian locksmith at ..get this..a key cutting kiosk in the lobby entrance of the DMV in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY. The remotes worked great, the keys open all of the locks, but, I only later discovered they would not start the car. The ignition cylinder turns, but no electronics.

If you go to the Vag_Com site and search the user support sections, you will find a detailed procedure to program the ECU to recognize new keys. This procedure is in addition to the relatively simple procedure to accept a new remote. The Key coding procedure does require some specific information from the dealer with relation to the build date or something like that.
If you don't have Vag-com, forget it, throw yourself on the mercy of the dealer.

I've never found a third party source for the newer key blanks. But if I do, it is back to my key-cutting cosmonaut's kiosk. Anyone know the manufacturer?? or a source of just the key blank?? My dealer wants to sell me the remote and the key together.

Regards,

Brian C.