A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the antenna amplifer located...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the antenna amplifer located...

and how do I "splice into it". I am in the process of installing XM radio, the same Pioneer unit used by several people. Past threads recommend tapping in after the antenna amplifer. Is that in the back by the antenna or further up by the radio? I assume I will need to get two US->VW adapters?

Colby
Old 04-15-2004, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did you find a Pioneer 903?

That's what I have (also docmusolf), and I thought it had been discontinued.

Do you have it already? If not, there's a new unit that's smaller/cooler, the XM Commander, that's a slightly better choice.

The amp in my car is under the antenna in the rear fender. However, I have the FM switchbox thing behind my head unit. There are two US=>VW adapters, one of each gender combo. In addition, I needed a powered antenna signal booster to maintain AM; without it, I had no AM at all, and I like to listen to talk radio every now and then, as well as local sports.

Where are you putting your XM antenna? Mine sort of worked on the hat shelf, but eventually I had to put it on the deck lid, too many drop outs. I have a spare antenna for a 903, as a result of that process, if you need one.

Also, there's a draft doc of a 903 install that I wrote at the Yahoo groups site, in the "files" section. Good "how to route wire fore and aft" info in there. I never finished it, as I didn't think anyone would be doing any more 903 installs.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AudiA8repair/<ul><li><a href="http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/SCOVWA2B">Here's the antenna booster you need.</a></li></ul>
Old 04-15-2004, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Did you find a Pioneer 903?

The 903's are a dime a dozen on Ebay. I found a good used one w/ antenna for $80. I mounted the antenna on the deck lid; with the summer package I'm not messing with the signal loss from the window tint. I mounted the 903 box where my factory phone was, and got power and ground from the D25 cable as well (it has two unswitched and grounds, for switched I had to splice since I also did Paul's jumper for a handsfree kit). I will run the cable for the controller to the front and mount it in the ashtray (that's the reason I went w/ the 903 over others; I like that location and how I can still close the lid. I heard w/ the Commander you can't). I have already downloaded and printed the draft install on Yahoo Groups, but being a draft it gives great insight on how to run the wires, but does not give any details on how to install the antenna wire. I was hoping to splice it in the rear (one less wire to run up front), but I don't see any antenna type connections. I don't want to splice coaxial cable, so I will likely just run it up front.

Colby
Old 04-15-2004, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think you're there.

Get that booster, and get the pair of VW-US antenna connections, and make the connections behind the radio.