A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tinting Time, Advice Please - 2002 S8

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Tinting Time, Advice Please - 2002 S8

I'm getting windows tinted tomorrow and was wondering a few things:

1. Can they tint behind the track on the side windows or will I see an ugly tint line from the outside? Most of the photos I've seen of tinted D2's appear to not have this issue, but I've never seen one close up.

2. I assume there is a factory tint between the dual paned glass. Are there any issues with heat by adding another layer? Some tint guy here in Denver told me they couldn't warranty the tint if there was already a factory tint that wasn't removed. I tried to explain that it's between the panes but he wasn't buying it.

3. 35%? 20%? Color stable or ceramic...or metallic? Car is Light Silver Metallic and want something to complement that.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be interested in any responses here too - I'm in the same position.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nollywood
I'll be interested in any responses here too - I'm in the same position.
Well just went and got it done anyways. The shop I went to was fantastic...$228 installed for Huper Optik Extreme 20%. When I picked up the car they confirmed some of my suspicions. They told me it was one the toughest cars they've ever tinted, especially the back window. Their 1.5 hour estimate turned into 4 hours. I couldn't see a single tint line on the entire vehicle and left a happy customer. Makes me feel stupid for the $400 I spent getting my Bronco done at a different shop.

All American Window Tint - Denver, CO
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ilver
Well just went and got it done anyways. The shop I went to was fantastic...$228 installed for Huper Optik Extreme 20%. When I picked up the car they confirmed some of my suspicions. They told me it was one the toughest cars they've ever tinted, especially the back window. Their 1.5 hour estimate turned into 4 hours. I couldn't see a single tint line on the entire vehicle and left a happy customer. Makes me feel stupid for the $400 I spent getting my Bronco done at a different shop.

So, you should be up to 40% (?)...OEM green tint on my windows is already at 20%, checked with photographic exposure meter.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car looks great! congrats. I need my rear window tinted as well. isn't there something to be aware of? ie. there is a type of tint that has metal in it and makes the AM radio antenna (located in the window) not work too good? any advice/ experience on this would be appreciated

Old 11-28-2011, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cemenacho
the car looks great! congrats. I need my rear window tinted as well. isn't there something to be aware of? ie. there is a type of tint that has metal in it and makes the AM radio antenna (located in the window) not work too good? any advice/ experience on this would be appreciated
Yes there is! They advised against metallic tint for this very reason. They suggested color stable (what I went with) or ceramic. The ceramic was mainly for more heat rejection, which wasn't a concern for me in my climate. I really just wanted some UV/light protection and privacy. FYI the ceramic options started at ~$400.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
So, you should be up to 40% (?)...OEM green tint on my windows is already at 20%, checked with photographic exposure meter.
20% is the light transmission percentage (80% blocked). So, a 20% on top of a 20% will give some value <20%.

FYI, 20% is usually the standard tint you see on the rear windows of most factory tinted SUV's.

I had my last car done with limo tint (5%) and night driving was a bit, um, iffy.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

20% is the light transmission percentage (80% blocked). So, a 20% on top of a 20% will give some value <20%.

FYI, 20% is usually the standard tint you see on the rear windows of most factory tinted SUV's.

I had my last car done with limo tint (5%) and night driving was a bit, um, iffy.
OK...I'm ignorant of car window tint terminology. The only car I've ever owned with added tint, came already done...unknown what %...just "pretty dark".

My "20%" observation came from actually putting a photographic exposure meter (I'm a photographer by trade) to my OEM side window. It showed a loss of 20% of outside light transmission, so actually allows 80% to pass through. So, in car terms, OEM is 80% tint, I suppose(?).
In photographic terms, it would be a -0.4 F-stop filter.
-1 F-stop would block 50% of the light... -2 F-stops would block 75%...and so on.

Fun facts

Cheers