A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wistleing/Screeching sound when start engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wistleing/Screeching sound when start engine

I've searched here and found one similar post with no response. So just asking.

When its cold (through out winter here ! [UK]) I get a wistling / screeching sound from the engine bay when I first start the car. This is unrelated to engine speed or progress. Under heavy acceleration it will stop temporarily.

This lasts for about 5 mins before stuttering to a stop (the noise ).

It sounds like a pump or pulley bearing of some description. I've tried oiling where I can, but there just isn't enough space to get in enough to identify the source.

Its been like this for years {shrug}.

Any ideas ?

99 4.2
Old 04-03-2002, 05:52 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Belts?

Them rubber belts can squeal like a little piggy stuck under a gate if they get moisture under them, especially if they're a little loose.

The problem with trying to apply any kind of substance to them is that you just make them even less grippy and eventually whatever you put in there dries out and your squeal comes back.

<b>A word of warning:</b> Those belts get awfully close to the radiator fan and that's electronically controlled. Don't go poking your fingers in there unless you are <i>absolutely sure</i> that it won't be warm enough to kick in, and never ever when the engine's running. Better to let your dealer's technicians poke their oil-stained little fingers around in there than risk your own.
Old 04-03-2002, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Belts?

ref: careful of the radiator fan

I know about working on running engines being a no no. But I still did it, and learnt the hard way about the radiator fan.

I swear I heard her chuckle out the exhaust.

ba humbug
Old 04-03-2002, 11:24 AM

Default I had a similar problem in a different car...

I had a very similar symptom with noise startup on cold days in my Corvette, and then will go away if I rev up the engine. I watched as my mechanic took a can of spray lubricant and sprayed it at various bearings that the belt was turned around. And then zap, the noise went away for about a minute when he sprayed the tension pully bearing. After replacing that for $35 + $30 labor, it was fixed for good. I don't know if yours is bearing related, but if it is, it will probably need to replaced sooner than later before it squeeches to a halt. I'm not sure if spraying lubricant onto varous parts of the belt driven bearing is good, but it worked.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:55 PM

Default Re: I had a similar problem in a different car...

Thanks,

I think it is bearing related, but so far I haven't found which. Its a bit tight.

Be honest, how do you compare a Corvette to A8 ?. There must be pro's and con's both ways. This is a curriosity question from the UK where we never grew up with things like the ubiquitous corvette.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Belts?

I starting hearing some noise and whining out of my 2000 A-8 4.2. I thought it was a fuel pump so I took it in and they found something else. The dealership is changing both the water pump and a cam tensioner. Bearings bad, apparently...YMMV.

Jim