A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: D2 S8 Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
??

Look at the bottom right of your own post box, to the left of "reply & quote"....if you are logged on, "edit" will be there.
Honestly, the "edit" button isn't there. All I've got is "quote", "multi quote" and "quick reply". Nothing else, I'm obviously logged in, as I'm responding.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nollywood
Honestly, the "edit" button isn't there. All I've got is "quote", "multi quote" and "quick reply". Nothing else, I'm obviously logged in, as I'm responding.
I don't get that(?)

Maybe something in your browser settings (I use Firefox) or with your IP server...I dunno.

Here's a screen "snip" of what I see (with red arrows added):

Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmh. How odd. I use Firefox too, and that edit button is missing in my responses. Oh well.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 AM
icrashcars

Originally Posted by Nollywood
Bumpers are not different between D2 A8 and S8, pre-facelift cars in North America were limited to the A8 only. Facelift cars in North America was available in both A8 and S8 guise, but all bumpers and panels are the same, no bumpers were unique to the S8.

The facelift D2 front bumper will physically bolt to your car, but it won't flow with your pre-facelift parts. To fit the facelift front bumper, you'll need:

01) Facelift hood.
02) Facelift grille.
03) Facelift headlamps.
04) Facelift under-headlamp trims.
05) Facelift fenders.

Not sure what that lot will run you, but I would imagine big bucks. Unless you find a car being parted out privately, not worth doing, at least from a financial standpoint. Even buying from a privately-parted out car, it'll still be costly. Add the cost of paint, you might as well sell your pre-facelift car, and but the facelift you want.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
thanks Nolly...I was planning on buying these parts (minus the fenders). Ill just have to add those to the list of parts.

I would have bought an S8, but I could not find one in decent condition for well over $10 (and those that I did find for a reasonable price didnt have the T-belt done). However, I bought a beautiful 99 a8 with under 90k miles for $4k. a few grand for the S8 front conversion is worth it in my book.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashcars
thanks Nolly...I was planning on buying these parts (minus the fenders). Ill just have to add those to the list of parts.

I would have bought an S8, but I could not find one in decent condition for well over $10 (and those that I did find for a reasonable price didnt have the T-belt done). However, I bought a beautiful 99 a8 with under 90k miles for $4k. a few grand for the S8 front conversion is worth it in my book.

I really think a few grand to facelift the car could be better spent on new shocks, control arms, a trans overhaul or a manual conversion.

I bought a facelift A8 because I wanted a facelift car.
I wouldnt try swapping.
You will need to swap the headlights too, and rewire them.

-Richard
Old 02-09-2012, 12:51 PM
icrashcars

Im content with the auto until it dies, then Ill convert.

suspension will be KW V2 coilovers
All control arms were replaced when I had the engine servicing done.
also, custom dual exhaust is planned.

I appreciate the insight. the forums have been quite helpful so far.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow...you ARE kidding ...right?

A few grand + your car would BUY you a low miles facelift A EIGHT. An S8 is exactly the same body as a facelift A8 down to EVERY detail except 2 little plastic badges that say "S8". An S8 is an A8 with tuned motor, lower diff gearing, bigger brakes and stiffer lower suspension...NOT a body style.

You call it an "S8 conversion" ...You are going to useless expense to put a fake FL A8 body on a pre-facelift A8...NOT an "S8 conversion" by any stretch...and NOT worth a penny.
This makes NO sense...and you know what they say about that phrase.

A Facelift A8 has a FAR superior engine (40V)...only thing similar is they are both 4.2 liters...That's it. More power, easier to service, better oil and coolant circuits, oil leaks rare (unlike the 32V)...you name it...plus 3 stage intake and VVT, which both spread torque WAY better than the outdated 32V. Facelift has tougher trans internal parts, better suspension, chassis strength, interior...everything improved.

Do yourself a favor and send ME a few grand, find a photo of an S8 and tell everyone it's yours...the perfect plan...I'll be happier and you'll STILL have exactly what you "say" you're planning

Wow.........
Old 02-09-2012, 03:09 PM
icrashcars

wow is right. Im simply asking questions and trying to learn. no need to be a dick about it. sometimes people just want to think out loud before committing. get over yourself.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wow is right. Im simply asking questions and trying to learn. no need to be a dick about it. sometimes people just want to think out loud before committing. get over yourself.
Kids say the darndest things...what a joy....things like:

"...I was planning on buying these parts (minus the fenders). Ill just have to add those to the list of parts."

...not a question...fantasy statement of a definite "plan".

You stated you're "trying to learn". Members here were trying to teach...falling on deaf ears.

Time for you to go back to the kids table, junior...the rest of us have grown-up, real things to discuss.
You can tell your little friends about your plan to put a rocket engine on your tricycle.

Of course I'm a dick...that's my nickname and I'm damned proud of it. I'll get over myself when I'm dead.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
Kids say the darndest things...what a joy....things like:

"...I was planning on buying these parts (minus the fenders). Ill just have to add those to the list of parts."

...not a question...fantasy statement of a definite "plan".

You stated you're "trying to learn". Members here were trying to teach...falling on deaf ears.

Time for you to go back to the kids table, junior...the rest of us have grown-up, real things to discuss.
You can tell your little friends about your plan to put a rocket engine on your tricycle.

Of course I'm a dick...that's my nickname and I'm damned proud of it. I'll get over myself when I'm dead.
OK, this is almost out of hand.
I like silverd2, he brings knowledge and experience to this forum.
but no need for the name calling, let's all get along.

I personally think facelifting a prefacelift is a waste of time and money, but to each his own. So let's leave it at that.

everyone have a good night

-Richard

Quick Reply: WTB: D2 S8 Front Bumper