A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Radio installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default XM Radio installation

I took the Delphi radio out of my totaled A6 and want to put it in 2000 A8. The problem is the same with the A6. I don't want to stick it to the dash cover. On the A6, I clipped it wobbly on the air vent in the middle of the dash.

Has anyone figured a way to mount one of these so it doesn't look funky and wobble around? Also, it was impossible to route the wire to the magnetic antenae. I ended up putting on top of the dash with a little piece of sticky velcro so it didn't slide around. Wires hanging around for the cassette player signal and lighter plug were ugly too.

Since a newer car with built in satelite radio isn't in my budget, is there any other after market solution for an XM radio that is less ugly?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I put mine on a stick-on upright swivel mount, mounted to wood grain ahead and to the right of the shifter and used the cassette deck interface...next best thing to direct antenna hook-up...infinitely better sound than the radio transmitter method (tune radio to receive signal). I believe I bought the swivel mount from Crutchfield, as I recall.
I routed the antenna wire straight back past the center console (partially tucked)through the ski sack, taped onto underside of trunk lid, exiting under the trunk seal below the license plate (not gonna leak water, when it exits on the underside like that), tucked behind plate and antenna mounted just behind the existing GPS nav antenna, strong stick-on velcro (body and antenna) to hold it in place, since magnet is useless on aluminum.
Not a clean, invisible install, but sounds great and am not trying to impress anyone with appearance...I did, however, paint the antenna and the wire showing on the outside of the car with touch up paint matching the car...have to be close to car to notice antenna.

Last edited by silverd2; 01-01-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Here is the absolute PERFECT XM install for a D2...

Originally Posted by audijim113
I took the Delphi radio out of my totaled A6 and want to put it in 2000 A8. The problem is the same with the A6. I don't want to stick it to the dash cover. On the A6, I clipped it wobbly on the air vent in the middle of the dash.

Has anyone figured a way to mount one of these so it doesn't look funky and wobble around? Also, it was impossible to route the wire to the magnetic antenae. I ended up putting on top of the dash with a little piece of sticky velcro so it didn't slide around. Wires hanging around for the cassette player signal and lighter plug were ugly too.

Since a newer car with built in satelite radio isn't in my budget, is there any other after market solution for an XM radio that is less ugly?
I did this to a D2 that I used to own. I got an FM modulated XM receiver that was made to be hard wired into the car. They don't sell that one anymore but on eBay if you type in 'Huge XM radio lot' you will find one included in the lot for 99 cents starting bid. That model has a display that is small enough to go where the ash tray now sits. You do all the wiring from behind in the console, stick the antenna up in the 'eyebrow ' of the instrument cluster from behind(its hollow and there will be nothing between the antenna an the satelite but plastic and glass). Perfectly stealth, when the ashtray door is shut nothing shows. Controlled by remote.