A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZRock, did you ever fix your EVAP leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZRock, did you ever fix your EVAP leak?

I did some leak testing today and I am pretty sure my tank is leaking from small cracks in the large cover on the passenger side of the gas tank, similiar to the post you had about 6 months ago. I don't think the large cap (~6 inches in diameter) is a stand alone replacement part.

FYI, I have an intermittant GROSS EVAP Leak, the engine never throws any other codes.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:59 AM

Default Nope, although it has been quiet for a while now. But...

I replaced the cap/seal that everyone seems to need at some point ("repair kit" 4d0-298-135-b). That didn't fix it, so I used some epoxy as recommended here on the board, and tried to hit the areas with the most obvious cracks. It still gave EVAP leaks a few times after that, but it's been months since I've had the CEL come on.

I think you're correct, the large cap is probably part of a larger assembly. I'm looking at the ETKA diagram the dealer gave me last year, but I'm not sure which one it would be. When I was trying to find the "repair kit" last year, the parts guy didn't know the part I was looking for, printed off the ETKA page and said "which part is it?". When none of them looked like what I needed, he suggested that it may have been part of some $100+ part number that replaced a bunch of the individual part numbers. Came back to the board, and audipages.com, got the part number for the kit, and was out the door for about $25. I kind of doubt they would be any more helpful about the larger cap/assembly.

I got gas yesterday and thought I noticed a faint gas smell in the car this morning. We'll see if it throws an EVAP leak CEL on me during this tank. I'm starting to think the weather/temperature may be a part of it too.

If you figure out a part number/source, please let me know. If it starts throwing CELs again, I'll probably coat the top of the whole thing in that epoxy, or some sort of expanding foam, or something.

Oh, and now my low coolant warning is coming on again, when I go around hard left corners. Joy. I guess I'll be following that thread that "Always Overcharged" just posted.

Tony Z
Old 07-10-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Hmm, I think I am going to try that gas leak epoxy stuff.

Worst case is it does not work. I think I could get the part from a junker, but it looks a bit tricky to get out. I might swing by the dealer and ask them, the guys at the Audi Exchange are pretty good.