A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** Fingers crossed ** Car is in for 45K service...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ** Fingers crossed ** Car is in for 45K service...

I made the leap and took my car to a different dealer for this service. About 40 miles further away than my usual dealership, however, I found out the service adviser that helped me actually lives in my neighborhood and offered me pick-up and drop-off service for future visits!

After speaking to my adviser on the phone yesterday afternoon it sounds like their tech manager might actually know what he's doing! As some of you know, I've been trying to get the stale odor issue with my A/C system resolved for several years. Every time I take my car in I make sure that they know that this problem still exists. They've gone as far as replacing the whole evaporative system, but the problem continues to exist. I have told them over and over that there is something plugged up because my car just doesn't ever leave a water puddle.

Anyway, back to the telephone conversation... He told me their manager had been working on my car all day, had pulled the service records on it. He said they actually ran my car side-by-side with another A8L and the other car left a big puddle - my car *** Big surprise *** no puddle! Just by doing this simple test, they've shown that they at least have some trouble-shooting skills.

In addition to the 45k service and A/C issue, I asked them to check a 'groaning' noise I've been hearing when I crank the steering wheel, in either direction, all the way to the stop.

They generously gave me an A4 Avant for a loaner, it looks brand new (less than 5k miles. I've never been attracted to black vehicles, but this black is really beautiful, just might change my thinking about black cars!

Now I just wait to hear back on my A/C problem. <sigh>
Old 11-07-2007, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: ** Fingers crossed ** Mine are as well. Sounds encouraging.

Sounds like power steering pump perhaps.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default **Update**

Just spoke with my service adviser. He said they emptied the Evap. cooler last night and when it was checked this morning it had more water in it - so the car continued to drain water during the night.

He said they found a coolant leak at the heater core, so, that's scheduled to be replaced along with the evap. unit. He said they're still looking for anything that might be contributing to the problem, since the car's already in pieces and they wont have the new parts in until Thursday or Friday.

No news on the steering sound yet.

**To be continued...
Old 11-07-2007, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Or control arm(s)
Old 11-07-2007, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default It's the drain on the evaporator drip tray - they are blocked

Common problem on the D2 A8's
Old 11-07-2007, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, I tried telling that to my previous s/a...

He swore up and down that there were NO drains coming from there to be plugged. I'm hoping for better luck from this crew.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If this were the case, what other symptoms should I have noticed?

Thank goodness I'm still under warranty =)
Old 11-08-2007, 06:51 AM
ESN
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you come off of warranty, that's the time for Randy to buy you a nice new one. =ppp
Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default LOL - at that point he'll probably tell me to go out and get a job =)

I'll probably have to go back to work anyway, just to pay for future repairs after the warranty is gone.

Although, by the time my warranty expires I will be 45 y/o - maybe it's time for me to start thinking about my mid-life-crisis vehicle =D
Old 11-08-2007, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default You "personally" are still under warranty, lol!...Man, Randy got himself a good deal!..

but knowing what you've been through personally over the last year, sounds like "your" warranty is working pretty well!

Quick Reply: ** Fingers crossed ** Car is in for 45K service...