A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 A8 Bluetooth retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
Attachment 34495

It is the MOST fiber optics with a RingBreak wire. You just run it to the trunk, splice into the amplifier with supplied splice (just take apart fiber connector and put one fiber in splice connector). You then locate RingBreak wire from Amp and use a connector to tap into it to bring this to the unit under the carpet. Power, ground, Mic+ and MIC- are available from old Telematics unit under carpet. If you want I can have power wires added to wire bundle to take power from trunk, but no need. MOST fibers were ordered from overseas the other day, should be available within 1-2 weeks.
Wow, that wiring diagram helps a hell of a lot. I really do appreciate you taking the time for this writeup. Btw I didn't think you could splice fiber optic wire. That why I didn't think the cd changer could still be kept. I gives me a little more confidence on doing this job.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k4blacka8
Btw I didn't think you could splice fiber optic wire. That why I didn't think the cd changer could still be kept. I gives me a little more confidence on doing this job.
Nobody is talking about splicing fiber optics. It is about adding another module to the Ring.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "Splice" involves taking one fiber optic connector out of the holder (you have to push in a blue pin, lift the plastic with a small screwdriver and pull cable out), placing it in the In Line Connector (a small plastic tray), placing the other lead of the plastic fiber optic in the tray and snapping the plastic cover shut. That is the complexity of it, should take about 5 minutes or less.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Where do you get these audi's MOST connectors - male + female

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
The "Splice" involves taking one fiber optic connector out of the holder (you have to push in a blue pin, lift the plastic with a small screwdriver and pull cable out), placing it in the In Line Connector (a small plastic tray), placing the other lead of the plastic fiber optic in the tray and snapping the plastic cover shut. That is the complexity of it, should take about 5 minutes or less.
I would like to make some splitters for my Q7 -
I found these cables online, I may make the connectors fit but I really want the original connectors. Where do you get your optical cables?
<a href="http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=102&cp_id=10237&cs_id=1023704&p_id=2616&seq= 1&format=2">Optical cables</a>

Thanks,

Louis
Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry won't work. You need Plastic Optic Fiber (1MM)with MOST connectors. It is not that easy to find in the US. PM me and I will fill you in on what I have found. I tried to have a few fiber optic supply houses make the cables without luck.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Nobody is talking about splicing fiber optics. It is about adding another module to the Ring.
Oh ok. I was about to say. I've never heard of anybody splicing fiber optic wire lol. Sorry about that.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I found a module on Ebay for $249.99 shipped. The good thing is the item is in Columbus Ohio which is 2 hrs away from me and I called the guy up and asked him if he can do $200 shipped and he said he would. Do you think that's a good price or no?? It does include the antenna. Ok just want some second opinions. All I need to get is the 54 pin harness and the Most harness. What length Most harness does the dealer offer??
Old 10-07-2013, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Here ya go...
http://www.fiscon-mobile.eu/products/pro_mmi_lwl.php
Practically OEM quality
this definitely seems the way to go IMO.

costs, but simplifies and seems to make it factory.

I just installed a pioneer in my 01, but the 04 im looking at ...is obviously different.

thanks for posting this. wonder if they will ship to the states?

EDIT: DANG!! 650USD! lol. looks worth it though...custom.

I guess you could always spend another 5-20K to get a newer year, or this to get the integration! ;P

Last edited by ceroberts75; 10-07-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default OEM

Originally Posted by 2k4blacka8
Well I found a module on Ebay for $249.99 shipped. The good thing is the item is in Columbus Ohio which is 2 hrs away from me and I called the guy up and asked him if he can do $200 shipped and he said he would. Do you think that's a good price or no?? It does include the antenna. Ok just want some second opinions. All I need to get is the 54 pin harness and the Most harness. What length Most harness does the dealer offer??
I think it's a good choice - I always like original components, especially with bluetooth - I love mine -

You have to find out where you want to put the unit - if it's under the seat as original - you need long splitter extension running either from the cd -
<a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSION-FOA1PO1-03-09-PORSCHE-CAYENNE-OPTICAL-EXTENSION-CABLE-for-GATEWAY-500-/171070251685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d494 e2a5&vxp=mtr">Dension long extension cables</a> or <a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/350885914565?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2648">porsche extension cable</a>

If you put it in the glovebox then you just need the short extension from AMI kit - for about $40.

The 54 pins connectors, there seems to be 5 wires need to be connected, this one is easy. I solder my wires directly to the pins or you can use computer "speaker" connectors wires (red/black) and they fit perfectly for 2 pins that are adjacent together
Old 10-07-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I think it's a good choice - I always like original components, especially with bluetooth - I love mine -

You have to find out where you want to put the unit - if it's under the seat as original - you need long splitter extension running either from the cd -
<a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSION-FOA1PO1-03-09-PORSCHE-CAYENNE-OPTICAL-EXTENSION-CABLE-for-GATEWAY-500-/171070251685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d494 e2a5&vxp=mtr">Dension long extension cables</a> or <a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/350885914565?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2648">porsche extension cable</a>

If you put it in the glovebox then you just need the short extension from AMI kit - for about $40.

The 54 pins connectors, there seems to be 5 wires need to be connected, this one is easy. I solder my wires directly to the pins or you can use computer "speaker" connectors wires (red/black) and they fit perfectly for 2 pins that are adjacent together

Ok. Well it's just that i'm new to the MOST fiber optics so i'm trying to understand it. Those cables are high lol. I also bought the 54 pin plug and the optical plug for $38 and some changed shipped from audionlineparts.com. So i'm guessing i'll have close to $350 in this job right?? That's even if I get that extension cable. So is there also an adapter plug that plugs into the cd changer/xm?? In other words, the plug that originally goes to the cd changer plugs in and another plug for the Bluetooth. like I said i'm a little confused about this.

Quick Reply: 04 A8 Bluetooth retrofit