A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 and MMI now has its own personality

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 and MMI now has its own personality

I've had no problems with the MMI up until yesterday 68k miles (I've had some sticking buttons but seemed to get them working fine with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol). I do not believe anything has spilled on it.

It turns itself off on its own, when I power it up the MMI logo shows up. Then it goes to the CAR suspension setting with the radio playing.

I can't get to the radio, except intermittently but many times all the buttons don't work. Even when I do get there I can't change radio stations.

It turns itself on with the car off.

I can't force a reboot.

If I am totally screwed, which I think I may be, anyone have thoughts on a source to replace this. I checked eBay and didn't see one.

Can this be replaced like that? Remove old unit, simply plug in working one?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have you changed anything on the system (audio add ons etc)? What software version are you running? My 04 would not let me turn the radio off at times and after updating the system it works as it should.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dad2n2
I've had no problems with the MMI up until yesterday 68k miles (I've had some sticking buttons but seemed to get them working fine with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol). I do not believe anything has spilled on it.

It turns itself off on its own, when I power it up the MMI logo shows up. Then it goes to the CAR suspension setting with the radio playing.

I can't get to the radio, except intermittently but many times all the buttons don't work. Even when I do get there I can't change radio stations.

It turns itself on with the car off.

I can't force a reboot.

If I am totally screwed, which I think I may be, anyone have thoughts on a source to replace this. I checked eBay and didn't see one.

Can this be replaced like that? Remove old unit, simply plug in working one?

Thanks in advance.
Had the same thing twice when sand got in mmi buttons/controller. Shorted it out and the fix was replacing a PCB board in the console (under the mmi controller). Under warranty AoA picked up 1.5 of the 2 replacements as it was my dogs fault - he loves the beach and standing on the arm rest afterwards, head poking from the sunroof.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Satch0922
Have you changed anything on the system (audio add ons etc)? What software version are you running? My 04 would not let me turn the radio off at times and after updating the system it works as it should.
Satch, no, nothing added. I found one on eBay fro $695 new OEM. Is that a good deal and if so, do you just plug it in or is there a Vag-Com that I have to pay the dealer for?

I don't know the software version, and, of course, I can't get to it..