A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04D3, Left front Bulb (it's the white light one) just went out....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey, it isn't too easy.

We just looked at it. The passenger side would have been pretty straightforward, just a lot of fasteners to get the air box out of the way.

The drivers side, much less so. You need to pull the PS reservoir and bracket, and would have to dump the fluid to do that. It's a couple hours work, unless we're missing something.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This isn't as easy as it sounds

04 A8l - I lost my Drivers side low beam Xeon coming home last week from Nashville. Ordered replacement pair just to have the spare. Got them in this week and now have the power steering reservoir 1/2 off / drained and trying to get to second larger connector on it off from the bottom. But trying to get it's bracket out is even harder. I believe it is connected somewhere way below the ABS module.

So with bracket in place I did get the door open on the low beam, but getting my hands in there isn't going so easy to twist of the ballast, I need a person with smaller hands :/

1 hour down, many to go ...
Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iluvpcs
04 A8l - I lost my Drivers side low beam Xeon coming home last week from Nashville. Ordered replacement pair just to have the spare. Got them in this week and now have the power steering reservoir 1/2 off / drained and trying to get to second larger connector on it off from the bottom. But trying to get it's bracket out is even harder. I believe it is connected somewhere way below the ABS module.

So with bracket in place I did get the door open on the low beam, but getting my hands in there isn't going so easy to twist of the ballast, I need a person with smaller hands :/

1 hour down, many to go ...
Will this not be easier to drop the front bumper and remove the entire headlight unit??
Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's unfortunatly what I'm coming to conclude too :/

Thanks for the info, I'll go do it, I do have the AEGIS manual which is helping somewhat.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JLM04A8L
Will this not be easier to drop the front bumper and remove the entire headlight unit??

I replaced my driver's side one a month ago. I removed the headlight assembly and then replaced the bulb with the headlight unit removed from the car.

My light turned pink so I figured it was going to go dark real soon. I called the dealer and asked what is typical; the ballast, igniter or the bulb. They said first thing they do is replace the bulb. If that doesn't fix it, then the igniter, if still no go, then the ballast. They claim that even if the bulb was good and more needed to be replaced, the bulb would soon fail so it's best to replace it. I just replaced the bulb. Bought it at an auto parts store for $75, it beat the dealer disCOuNt price of $220. Alas, on line it would have only been $35 but what if it arrived broken? I unwrapped it at the auto parts store to verify it was unbroken.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK - Got the entire headlight assembly out, got the new bulb in but can't twist the Ballist back on. Feel like im going to break the plastic 4 tips. DO I just push hard and twist? Hate to break it.

Thanks guys, I think I'll take some pictures of reverse process and post on the tech articles.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yes, Pic Please - Amazing what has to be done to replace a common fail item

Please do post picture and a description of your process as we will all be here sooner or later. Thanks in advance.

I'm really surprised how these late model cars have made it so difficult to access something as simple as a headlight bulb. Audi is not alone on this design flaw. Perhaps the manufactures wish to generate more service trips to their dealer network, but $300-$400 to change a HID headlight is crazy. (assuming $200 parts and $100-$200 labor).

Cheers,
Old 10-02-2009, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by iluvpcs
OK - Got the entire headlight assembly out, got the new bulb in but can't twist the Ballist back on. Feel like im going to break the plastic 4 tips. DO I just push hard and twist? Hate to break it.

Thanks guys, I think I'll take some pictures of reverse process and post on the tech articles.
It needs to be installed without the electrical connector attached. There's an interlock that is there to prevent high voltage with the lamp not installed in the reflector/lens. Once the connector is removed, it is designed to prevent the connector from being reattached until the bulb/igniter/ballast is secured to the lens/reflector.

Yes, all in the name of safety.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Galco
Please do post picture and a description of your process as we will all be here sooner or later. Thanks in advance.

I'm really surprised how these late model cars have made it so difficult to access something as simple as a headlight bulb. Audi is not alone on this design flaw. Perhaps the manufactures wish to generate more service trips to their dealer network, but $300-$400 to change a HID headlight is crazy. (assuming $200 parts and $100-$200 labor).

Cheers,
And remember, it's double the cost if you want both changed so the color "matches". I only replaced the one that went pink on me. The other one (original AFAIK) is 6 1/2 years old with 111k miles on the clock. So far, they both seem like the same blue per my colorblind eyes!