A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 A8 Chrome Window Trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 A8 Chrome Window Trim

The chrome corner trim piece around both of my back windows looks like the chrome is totally wearing off. Its weird because it is only on these parts. It looks horrible. So today I called the dealer to ask how much the part would cost- $250 each! Where do these guys come up with this pricing?

Anyone have this happen? Can you remove and have this piece re-chromed? Anyone have a suggestion on where to have it done? I can't image it would cost more that $40 for both...
Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After looking at it a little closer and trying to use metal polish it looks like oxidation? Is the trim aluminum?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by RipItUp
After looking at it a little closer and trying to use metal polish it looks like oxidation? Is the trim aluminum?
Yes it's aluminum. No real chrome on these cars. Perhaps someone sanded the clear coat off so it is oxidizing. You could mask & clear coat spray it or wax it after. But the wax won't last forever.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I need to clear coat spray around the audi rings on my trunk. I also noticed a small piece where the clear coat peeled off the aluminum finsih, but theres no problem with that.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What do you guys think about the below. I am not sure if I am asking for more trouble than it is right now... Is the trim piece around the small rear window easy to remove and re-install?

The "magic" chemical is sodium hydroxide, and it is the active ingredient in drain cleaners (Drano). It comes in liquid and crystal form and we find the dry crystals are the most effective (and least expensive.)

All you need to de-anodize your piece of aluminum is a shallow pan large enough in which to lay it. You'll need warm water, rubber gloves, eye protection and, of course the drain cleaner. Fill the pan with enough warm water to cover the piece and then add enough drain cleaner to do the job - we find that 1 tablespoon of cleaner to one gallon of water will de-anodize a couple pieces like headlight bezels.

Mix the cleaner thoroughly in the water and place the aluminum piece in it. Make sure there's air movement over the pan, since the vapors can be a bit caustic. Watch the bubbles form on the aluminum and lift it out every minute or so to remove the accumulated "****." **** is the chemical residue that forms during the de-anodizing process and you want to remove it periodically to expose the surface to the chemical. If the process is going too slowly you can add more cleaner.

After a few minutes you will see that the piece is a uniform, flat color. Stains and blemishes should have disappeared, leaving only scratches. Take the piece out and rinse thoroughly with fresh water. Dry it off and inspect for any residual anodized spots, which show up as darker surface finish. If there are any, immerse the piece in the chemical for a little longer and rub them out. Rinse and dry again.

Now you can sand your piece with 800 grit paper to remove scratches and then buff the surface to a bright shine. It will remain a soft surface unless you anodize it again, but that takes equipment and a little experience. We find that keeping a coat of wax on the piece prevents tarnishing and staining. Also, you can spray the piece with clear lacquer or enamel to protect it in harsher environments.