A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 A8 audio patch cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 A8 audio patch cable

I'm looking for a way to play music from iPhone 5 through my factory MMI setup. I've been told I need a patch cable that will go through my cd changer in the glovebox but haven't found what exactly I need to get, and how to install it once I get the right piece. I'll be ok with a wired aux input but if anyone knows of a way of doing it using Bluetooth that'd be even better!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In order to connect your iPhone or iPod you need AMI (Audi Music Interface) It came with later models (2007>). You will also need to update your MMI software, if it was not already done. The latest North American version is 4610. You can order update CD's from a dealer. They are $25. New AMI is quite expensive but you can find it used on eBay. There are some other aftermarket products that would do the trick. They are quite cheaper.

Your car doesn't have Bluetooth unless it was retrofitted.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mishar
In order to connect your iPhone or iPod you need AMI (Audi Music Interface) It came with later models (2007>). You will also need to update your MMI software, if it was not already done. The latest North American version is 4610. You can order update CD's from a dealer. They are $25. New AMI is quite expensive but you can find it used on eBay. There are some other aftermarket products that would do the trick. They are quite cheaper.

Your car doesn't have Bluetooth unless it was retrofitted.
I have the ami already and the upgrade has been done also.so what is is best cable for a iphone5 and ipod
Old 06-07-2013, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jbones68
I have the ami already and the upgrade has been done also.so what is is best cable for a iphone5 and ipod

If you already have AMI and to the OP - maybe you should get AMI, get the normal 30 pin IPOD connectors then get one of these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Music-Audio-Receiver-Adapter-A2DP-for-iPod-iPhone-30-Pin-Dock-Speaker-/310647969652?pt=US_USB_Bluetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item48540fd774
Its a bluetooth transmitter so you can then connect up your iPhone 5 to it. Works really well. I have one in my M3 and on my iPod dock at home.

EDIT: Its only good for streaming music. Cannot be used for making calls.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default There is no best cable for iphone 5...nor any cable for that matter

Same w/ new Audis BTW, and Mini's and presuably BMW's for that matter. Only work around is the Apple kludge iPhone 5 adapter to 30 pin, and then off that into a 30 pin AMI adapter cord.

Or, if you really want to do it w/out the two layers of adapter plugs, you need to use the available AD2P adapter w/ AMI and then bluetooth into AMI.

BUT, far better and cheaper solution to all of these compromises is to use an old iPod, iTouch or old discarded iPhone with the age old 30 pin connector and just leave it in the A8 glovebox. Flash ones like iTouch or iPhone faster. Probably literally 10 million of them around, mostly wasting away in drawers.

Then it's just a slave unit, no constant unplugging, no dealing with the 6 inch long cord and trying to use phone controls, no dealing with the iPhone 5 continuing orphan status as far as supported plug ins (so proprietary as far as support as to be quasi useless in the car world to date except via a bluetooth connection), no leaving your phone behind and risk of theft of a pricy device, etc. Just sync the older Apple device to your same music library on iTunes and good to go. For that matter, since not competing w/ videos, apps, pictures and such in memory if it is a decently equipped one, record at higher bit rates or lossless, if your starting archive is up to that to begin with.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-07-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

directly to iPhone connection:

to aux in 3.5mm:

and always good to have USB connection:

Old 06-07-2013, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Same w/ new Audis BTW, and Mini's and presuably BMW's for that matter. Only work around is the Apple kludge iPhone 5 adapter to 30 pin, and then off that into a 30 pin AMI adapter cord.

Or, if you really want to do it w/out the two layers of adapter plugs, you need to use the available AD2P adapter w/ AMI and then bluetooth into AMI.

BUT, far better and cheaper solution to all of these compromises is to use an old iPod, iTouch or old discarded iPhone with the age old 30 pin connector and just leave it in the A8 glovebox. Flash ones like iTouch or iPhone faster. Probably literally 10 million of them around, mostly wasting away in drawers.

Then it's just a slave unit, no constant unplugging, no dealing with the 6 inch long cord and trying to use phone controls, no dealing with the iPhone 5 continuing orphan status as far as supported plug ins (so proprietary as far as support as to be quasi useless in the car world to date except via a bluetooth connection), no leaving your phone behind and risk of theft of a pricy device, etc. Just sync the older Apple device to your same music library on iTunes and good to go. For that matter, since not competing w/ videos, apps, pictures and such in memory if it is a decently equipped one, record at higher bit rates or lossless, if your starting archive is up to that to begin with.

Couldn't agree more! I bought a iPod classic 160gb which was best value for money and have that permanently in the A8 now, updating as and when. When in the M3 I do still use my phone over bluetooth but only because I'm not in it often.

But if the OP wants bluetooth streaming from his iPhone I'd look at AMI or something like the Dension Gateway 500. If going the dension gateway 500 I wouldn't get the BTA1500 bluetooth adapter for streaming I'd get the transmitter I linked above. I've found it gives better audi quality!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh sh**, I have missed that part where says "if anyone knows of a way of doing it using Bluetooth that'd be even better!" :-)
Old 06-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So the AMI is the cord? And how difficult is it to install?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiJinkins
So the AMI is the cord? And how difficult is it to install?
No, it's not. It is interface, a little box full of electronics. Cord just connects it to a phone.

It is very easy to install it.

Quick Reply: 2004 A8 audio patch cable