A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 A8L Sway/Stabilizer bar ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 A8L Sway/Stabilizer bar ?

hi guys my cars makes clunking noise when going over bumps and i had it on the lift and figured out the problem which is the bushings on the sway bar, dealer told me i have to buy the whole bar is there any after market bushings or anything the i can buy even a after market sway bar as dealer wants 455 for the part

thanks
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Check here.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 612 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Confirming for OP; other possibles..

bushings are available only w/ the bar--they are molded on. Other than dealer, you would have to look for a used bar in good shape. Check eBay.

Per Mishar's parts diagram, while the sway bar bushings could be worn, more likely sway bar noises are from the end links--the U shaped parts that bolt at the end of the bar on each side. But noise and wear is far more likely in general from the inner upper front arm bushing for the suspension. For D3's, that is virtually 100% it will need to be replaced over time--a when, not if. By contrast, sway bar repair percentage is pretty low. Before I spent $ on sway bar, unless you have seen the damage at the sway bushing AND unless you know those upper front inner arm bushings are good, I would get them checked too.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys 287 is much better then 455 I usually get 20% off but this is much better. ...

Ive already changed the upper control arms and sway bar links so I know for a fact those are good btw I used fcpeuro.com for CA pretty good prices and lifetime warranty too my 04 has abt 180k so I used the cheap karlyn parts so far so good ...

Now theres 3 bar sizes and I wonder which 1 I need
Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bar sizes--

Bar sizes are in three basic groups--A8 regular/comfort suspension, A8 Sport suspension and S8 suspension level. Each one is incrementally stiffer. If you want stock, match to your original suspension type of course. If I recall correctly, there are also part # differences from 2004 to 2005 for some reason; I think the 2004's may actually have been a little stiffer at the same basic level if I remember the specs. These front bars are also hollow/tubular, so you have to know both the diameter AND wall thickness to really have a sense of which one is stiffer by spec. For example, I think the S8 one varies more on the wall thickness than on the diameter.

If you want stock, just order by VIN from AudiUSAParts and they will get you the right one. If you want to go somewhat stiffer, up to you. It will firm things up some but not to point of harshness or anything like that. Changing just front and not rear to a stiffer bar will increase the car's understeer a bit at the margin. Rear bar is a fair amount more work to get out than the very easy front one though. Only if you drive it at 8 or 9 tenths would you probably notice much of anything on the understeer. I went up on mine a notch--W12's come with sport bars but standard air units so I went up one "step" to S8 bars front and rear--and like the result. One advantage of the bushings and bar all being integral is they all bolt right up at the mount points with no other changes or hardware.

Again, simple answer is just get the same bar by VIN, but you do have a choice here to bump it up a notch if you want a slightly firmer and marginally flatter ride.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-26-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Changed all 8 arms and anti-roll bar links on mine due to a annoying rattle on some small bumps. Rattle was still there.
Tie-rod ends were as 'sound as a pound', so went to dealership and they diagnosed inboard anti-roll bar bushings. £305 GBP. Had an A1 courtesy car for two days, wash, vacuum, tin of sweets, fantastic customer service treatment - so not a bad price, part is £147.
It made a huge difference to noise reduction and refinement increase - feels much newer and tighter and the rattle has gone too.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snapdragon
Changed all 8 arms and anti-roll bar links on mine due to a annoying rattle on some small bumps. Rattle was still there.
Tie-rod ends were as 'sound as a pound', so went to dealership and they diagnosed inboard anti-roll bar bushings. £305 GBP. Had an A1 courtesy car for two days, wash, vacuum, tin of sweets, fantastic customer service treatment - so not a bad price, part is £147.
It made a huge difference to noise reduction and refinement increase - feels much newer and tighter and the rattle has gone too.
I dont think we have tie rods on this car... more of sway bar links
Old 03-28-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

He means steering tie rods rather than ones connected to front sway bars.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dildildil
I dont think we have tie rods on this car... more of sway bar links
Audi calls the inner part tie-rods and the outer half track rod ends.
(steering stalks)
Old 05-25-2016, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Snapdragon.

I am in Sheffield driving an Audi A8 4.2 petrol. Would there be a time when we could connect please either by telephone or email. I would really like to connect with someone localish to find out more about the wonderful Audi A8s and to have another opinion on A8 matters. You seem to really know your stuff and would hugely appreciate being able to connect with you. Don't worry this isn't about hasseling anyone, just car chat sometimes.

Thank you.

Joseph Leech
0114 321 6223
07896 460 407

Quick Reply: 2004 A8L Sway/Stabilizer bar ?