A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 A8L W12 Throttle Body Service / MAF Service!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 A8L W12 Throttle Body Service / MAF Service!

Greetings,

I just wanted to share a simple maintenance that had a significant improvement in the performance of my vehicle. I purchased a can of CRC throttle Body Cleaner and A can of CRC Mass Airflow Cleaner.

MAF:
removed the Rubber induction hose from both Throttle Bodies by loosening the hose clamp and disconnecting it form the Throttle Body. Be advised the drivers side hose has a smaller hose entering into the side of the induction hose at approx three o clock.

I used Hose Clamp Pliers and removed the induction hose from the top of the airbox.

removed the three phillip head screws connecting the MAF to the Airbox
picked it up gently and cleaned the sensor by spraying the cleaner on the hot wire portion of the sensor. If you need to change your air filters this would be a fine time to do so. there are some more phillips screws holding the top of the airbox closed. If your look around the outer edges of the box and loosen the screws you will be able to lift the cover and service the air filter. PS on the passenger side box there are two wire harness brackets that are clipped to the cover.

Throttle Body:

I took a roll of shop towels and sprayed the Throttle Body cleaner on the towels

took a plastic screwdriver handle and wedged the throttle plate open and cleaned the lower half and then moved the screwdriver handle to the lower half and cleaned the upper half. I continued to wipe until i could not see any carbon deposits. you should see a shiny kind of polished surface. A good light will be very useful

I reassembled the vehicle and let it sit for about an hour to make sure all of the cleaners had dried/ evaporated

Results:

throttle response improved
transmission shifted smoother
throttle response became smoother
idle improved
instant mpg display responded quicker

Happy Motoring