A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007/8 S8 or 2010/11 S4

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007/8 S8 or 2010/11 S4

After writing all this below, I realize I am just looking for justification NOT to buy the S8.

Graduating med school May, starting residency in June, getting out of my '06 accord (greatest 4-cyl engine ever) and into either 2010/11 S4 (DSG/sports diff) or 2007 S8 57k miles $44k. Drove the S8 (HUGE grin-mine matched the grill)and love the Audi's dual personalities: proper and elegant yet never strains while delivering eye-dilating, glove and stocking parasthesia as you engage the v10s 398lb-ft of torque. The vast richly appointed cabin drips opulence, the espresso leather seats hug you like a mother that hasn't seen her son in years, and the V10 could be the 4th tenor (RIP PAVAROTTI). On the test drive the dealer took me to a straight, traffic-free road (25mph limit), and said: "Let loose!" I obliged, and was transported to 80mph instantly. Apparently, the police officer down the street enjoyed the show as well, only blinking his overheads for 2-3 seconds, allowing ample time for me to return to the posted speed limit and never leaving his post behind the untrimmed hedge. There were some issues: the loose feel, rattling, and strain-noise the plastics make (shifter and arm rests specifically) were reminiscent of my mothers '02 allroad when we sold it in 05; sounds like someone is typing on a loose keys of a laptop keyboard. Second, w/ 57k miles this S8 seams to be nearing, for what historically has been, the end of its life cycle. In other words, frequent service trips b/c a) air suspension malfunction b)electronics disengaging sporadically c) unexplainable beeping
Do not get me wrong, in my eyes the S models have always been the Monica Bellucci's of the large scale car industry (Italian exotics, incl. Lambo aside), but like a beautiful woman who can easily have what she wants, I am worried about unexpected breakdowns from nowhere. Mainly when considering my second option: the 2011 S4. It has that incredible 3.0T engine with acceleration matching the S8 yet friendly gas mileage. The sport diff enabling you to enter and exit corners with confidence, upgraded interior (S8>S4 the alacantra and the way all the buttons and gauges seem to fuse into 1 utilitarian purpose), 4 yr warranty, and its youth(the feel and better for resale???). Moreover, those creaks heard in the S8's chamber are void in the diminutive little brother S4, but the performance surely is not. Counterpoint the S8 has that supple ride and highway stability I love and expect from a luxury sedan; it's like a hovercraft absorbing road deformities ad lib. The S4 is Stasis friendly; the S8 is incredible with the Milltek exhaust and requires no tuning. The V10 is proven, the 3.0T reliability not sure yet.
Please help, I am torn. I want the S8 (maybe just not that S8) but feel like I will be missing something if I pass the S4, especially since a new S8 is coming, but that will not be in my financial sights for the next few years.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
This is the S8
Old 05-07-2011, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes, an S8, but maybe not THAT S8

After looking at the very low resolution pictures of that ad, one picture struck me-the one with the two air fresheners hanging in the trunk? That is a new one for me. Could me a host of things, most not very good.

Your description of all the creaking of interior panels, etc demonstrates an example that may need some help. An S8 just left our family and I was said to see it go (was my Dad's daily driver). I had planned to buy it from him. In fact, I was constantly looking for something else but knew in the end the S8 was still going to be it. However, as your other choice, I considered the S4. Newer technology, new transmission, new MMI, sport differential, what was not like about all of these things? In the end, I actually ended up with an 2010 S5 coupe and could not be happier. It has newer technology items, except the DSG.

There are a few S8 current owners on here and they can chime in on daily life with the S8. My thoughts are - for a highway cruiser and back road sleeper, it is hard to beat. For one person usage and daily city use, the size may be more than necessary. The S4 or even the S5 is a better daily use car to me. However, if I had to drive for a few hours, the S8 would be perfect.

If you were to seriously consider the S8, I might look at 2008 at least. The one you list seems short on options to me. There are fairly rare with about 400 in 2008 and only around 200 in 2009.

I would highly recommend the S8 but perhaps consider what your use on a daily basis will entail.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Whichever place that you are looking to get he S8 from, they use a terrible camera #1. #2 the car seats look all dirty and have what looks to be salt/ dirt on the back of the front seats. I also wouldn't be paying that much especially after the car is directly out off someone's hands, CPO or not. Just because its CPO doesn't guarantee it is flawless or even in great condition. Guaranteed came right off a lease where the last owner didn't do anything to the car, even if it is CPO. People who drive these cars generally beat the hell out of them, don't know anything about them then turn them back in and get something cheaper because this was the one car they got to show off (leaser's only). The major service wasn't done. This literally looks the exact same as my 05 A8 features wise, but it doesn't look to have the enhanced leather package. The S8 is a great car; when it's working. These cars are electrical nightmares. For me when I spend that much dough, I want my car to be fully fully loaded and be in pristine condition. For me, I would not buy this car.

I would buy a S4 if I like manuals. Or even the S5 but I wouldn't buy a used one off a lease. Best would be to get one off someone who has run into money troubles, sorry to say it. They probably babied the car and are sad to see it go, yet they took great care of it. If you can afford new (which you can if your looking to get an S8 lol, I would definitely go new!)

Last edited by Brozee; 05-07-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thank you for the valuable input!

You guys are great, thank you for your priceless input.

Txtony: I will be doing more hwy driving than city traffic driving, so the S8 does cater to me that way. I will give an S5 a shot as well, but I love having 4 doors.

Brozee: Thanks for pointing out the missing accessories and what to look for. I was looking for B&O (found a CO dealer w/ 45k miles for $44,000 fully loaded, but it was sold!); nevertheless, the B&O is not a deal breaker. Poor interior quality and schizophrenic electronics are!

I am going to try an auto S4 w/ sports diff (new) today, since the local dealer only had S4 mannual.

Sidenote: he had 2 A7 3.0T... Smooth, but not the presence of teh S8 (reminded me of High School--> a precocious Freshman invited to a Senior Prom: well dressed, flashy, and wanting to flaunt. But lacks the maturity and composure of a Senior... Was that too much?)
Old 05-07-2011, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

At this stage in your career, do you really want the thought of $500-2000 sudden repair bills along with some impressive insurance premiums? In no way am I telling you how to spend your money. However, I'm reminded of the "All good things come to those who wait" statement.

The other statement I'm reminded of is: Life would be grand if it wasn't for the monthly three to eight hundred dollar "aw****". And this does not just apply to cars.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have a wife and kids? If not, why not a used 911? I went S4 - 911 - cayenne turbo to S8. Don't get me wrong, the S8 is great, but if I had a choice, I would still have one of the first two. The last two, including the current and new to me S8 are a compromise, as I live in NYC and having two cars in the city is just nuts.

Anyway, I would tell you to get a used 911 C4. I loved mine. If you use winter tires, they are amazing in the snow. Granted, not very deep snow... An S4 would be fun, just not as much fun. I had the B5 S4, so it was a little gritty and I chipped the car,etc. I guess the new s4 is a little like this.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Eh idk about a 911 without a warranty though. That's a whole other road of problems that he wanted to avoid with the S8.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yetis: I am 6'6" I cannot fit into a 911 comfortably, I tried! My knees are against the wheel and I cannot find a comfortable sitting position. Total bummer since it is such a wonderful car.

Moreover, after sleeping on it last night I made the decision to go with the car that has been my desktop background more times than I can remember; the breathtaking S8. Thank you all for your feedback and guidance.

Brozee: I went back to the dealer possessing the S8 I linked to previously (salty seats, air fresheners in the trunk, not fully loaded, and lacking a major maintenance) and inspected the car with my father and a certified Audi mechanic (private shop). We dug around, pressed every button, inspected every corner (minus putting the car on a lift which we will do Monday-will explain later why we did not today) and found the car to be in wonderful condition: no leaks, no ripped hoses, the CV boots intact, the air suspension worked flawlessly (more on that later), and gave it another drive around. The dealer will include 2 years 100k miles bumper-2-bumper (not limited to powertrain) warranty with free repairs and a 1 month grace period to return the car if something is seriously wrong. The one thing we noticed: on the first start up the engine had this strange rumbling noise, my father suggested a cylinder not firing (we are from ukraine where side of the road repairs and diagnostics are a way of life), but the engine did not seem to shake or vibrate. Then within 30 seconds everything was smooth and rumble free and idled ideally. Any ideas?
We began to negotiate price, and I told him about another S8 near Philadelphia (2.5 hrs south) had 33k miles B&O and extended leather but wanted $53,000. The dealer was unwilling to change the price b/c he was already @ wholesale (confirmed with Galves) after dropping price $5,000 already. So dad and I headed to Phila area to check out this S8. Here is the link: CAVEAT EMPTOR 1) Previous owner heavy smoker; car reeked 2) No keyless start 3) No back up camera 4)Air suspension was sluggish and nearly nonfunctional 5)All the keys stuck and required heavy pressing to accomplish function 6)Leather and carpets worn beyond what's expected in a 33k mile car with numerous spots and stains 7) Scuffs and scratches all around 8)Body panels coming off 9)Right fog light plastic casing sticking out 10) No automatic trunk-not a deal breaker but expected since I saw it on the last S8 Needless to say, I did not even test drive the car.

Driving home, I called back the local dealer and negotiated a bit more. I did not get a change in pricing, but demanded that all the major scheduled maintenance be included until 100k/2yrs. After being on hold for 5-8 min (dramatic effect I guess) he agreed. I will go over Monday to inspect the vehicle 1 more time, and by then will hopefully be the owner of my dream car in my favorite color combo.

Nevertheless, if we discover something awry while inspecting under the car or this benign rumble is the early manifestation of cylinder failure, all deals off.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yetis: I am single and living in a home I own w/o a mortgage. Only a hundred thousand in student loans... Med school = masochism. I pay the school $40,000 per year to work 80 hours shifts as a STUDENT! By the way, not b*tching, I love what I do, the people I meet, and have never wanted to wake more in the mornings until now.

PS: in the future something 2 door and sporty will come! I am a brand loyalist, and am grateful that Audi has great cousins...

Quick Reply: 2007/8 S8 or 2010/11 S4