A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 S8 back in shop 2nd time in 2 days

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yetis
This is all very interesting, as I am at the start of this I fear. My car was in the shop last month, where I did an oil change and they updated the engine ECU. Drove down to Florida (from NYC) and had the Check engine light come on. Cleared it, but came back on the drive back. Now the car is back in the shop for a second time, for a bad o2 sensor. They have spent three days, trying to diagnose and even did a 50 mile road test! I take it they are trying their hardest, not to have to replace anything? Car has about 45k miles on.
I can tell you that the dealer put over 200 miles on mine during the service. I questioned the mileage and they said that in order to fully understand the problem, it had to be done. My issues began with an O2 sensor going out, then the manifold, then one fuel injector, then all, before the engine light stayed off...so far so good.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Incaico
I'll tell you what the dealer told me is the main cause of carbonation, not using Premium Tier 1 gas, like Shell, Chevron, 76.
Unfortunately that is total BS.

It's an inherent feature with all gen 1 gasoline direct injection engines, regardless of manufacturer, fuel or oil quality. What it is, is a design flaw that no manufacturer will admit to as it'll cost them a fortune in warranty claims and class action law suits. Instead they've all clubbed together and come up with this "user error" cheap gas/oil excuse.

I'm telling you, it's going to bite them all real hard on the *** before too long.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default They are right about the drive time/miles. Details on why...

To be sure it can now pass a smog test in many states even with no CEL on, for "readiness" it needs to do a complete test cycle , which involves a bunch of steps, including running the motor at a couple of different RPM's w/in very narrow tolerance for several minutes. If it can't complete this, the "readiness codes" don't all reset to good during the learning phase after a CEL clear. States and the EPA have wised up to folks resetting a CEL like five minutes before a smog test on a laptop or with a handheld scan unit. Thus many now test specifically for the readiness codes reading good, or the car still fails--they tell you come back in a few days in that scenario or send you to the state referee test place (like here in CA) if you claim it just got fixed. As in, that "option" sounds like the full underhood close up "strip search" to avoid like the plague.

Having gone through the "readiness" drill on my 2000 A6 4.2 right before a smog check I had to pass before tag expiration in just a few days and w/ a vacation looming, I tried carefully do the full readiness reset with the documented procedure w car parked. I just couldn't hold the elevated RPM's steady and within a very narrow range for the required time, even though trying for an hour plus with steady nerves and leg. The fallback is to complete a bunch of driving cycles (typically 5 to 10) involving steady freeway speeds for at least several minutes; that's the simple way it resolves over some days. To speed it up, you have to nail all the exact test parameters in fewer cycles. I found the process posted when I searched for Audis and readiness code process. Basically, a long drive once fully warmed up where you hold it in the RPM ranges for a fair amount of time for the hardest to simulate part of the test. On the A6 that was top gear right around 60 MPH. As in, cruise on w/ light freeway traffic and stay your course until the bitter end (or imminent accident failing bail out). Took me on a one time 50 mile freeway circle in lighter weekend traffic to be virtually sure I had it several times over, which on an (easy) scan of the VAG COM readiness codes found I was indeed successful. And yes VAG COM of course allows a CEL reset, but doesn't (and probably legally can't) allow a recode or adaptation to magically confirm sudden "readiness."

Assuming the dealer here wanted to be sure they had the OP's car fixed (for me it was a fouled plug, so I knew I had it fixed), they likely either wanted to repeat it a few times, or just went w/ the simpler drive it several days approach where it tends to set the readiness codes w/out a lot of process rigor.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-05-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
To be sure it can now pass a smog test in many states even with no CEL on, for "readiness" it needs to do a complete test cycle , which involves a bunch of steps, including running the motor at a couple of different RPM's w/in very narrow tolerance for several minutes.
Assuming the dealer here wanted to be sure they had the OP's car fixed (for me it was a fouled plug, so I knew I had it fixed), they likely either wanted to repeat it a few times, or just went w/ the simpler drive it several days approach where it tends to set the readiness codes w/out a lot of process rigor.
I will be keeping an eye out for this. worst case, since I have a 4 year 40k warranty with the dealer, I will let him deal with it...after all, I will always be taking it back to him for service, this way, I get the newest loaner available. Looking forward to my 55k service. Can't wait to see what type of loaner I will get...