A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 S8 tranmission not shifting in Drive or Sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 S8 tranmission not shifting in Drive or Sport mode

After a recent morning of spirited driving, which involved moving the shifter between D/S/Tip and using the steering wheel paddles, I returned home and let the car sit very briefly. I got back in and put it in D and took off, but the car wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I could take it to the redline. I was able to shift with the paddles, so I'm not completely hosed. I have since determined that toggling between D & S will put the shifting back on track. But, after coming to a complete stop the whole process starts again. If I start in D or S, it will not shift until I toggle it.

I haven't had a chance to pull codes yet, but plan to do so this evening. In the mean time, does this sound familiar to anyone? I called my preferred Audi shop, but they've never heard of anything like this and haven't worked on too many D3s (yet).
Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a linkage problem? I guess it would be electronic and not mechanical. As such VAG-COM could prove useful. Please update us on your diagnosis and treatment. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry I do not have any help for you now, but can you post what you find?
I have the same car. It dose sound like a switch between the D and the manual enable. I will look at the parts on the trany tomorrow and see what makes the distiction. I am out of town returning tomorrow can't wait to drive my car again and I will see if I can come up with something more usefull.
EMJR
Old 09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Imo , It seems like software issue. Keep us posted
Old 09-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll keep everyone posted as to what I find. Pulled the codes last night, but nothing substantive I am told. Here's the short list of relevant faults:

<b>01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
02-Auto Trans -- Status: Malfunction 0010</b>
0F-Digital Radio -- Status: Malfunction 0010
38-Roof Electronics -- Status: Malfunction 0010
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: Malfunction 0010
47-Sound System -- Status: Malfunction 0010
4F-Centr. Electr. II -- Status: Malfunction 0010
53-Parking Brake -- Status: Malfunction 0010
61-Battery Regul. -- Status: Malfunction 0010

Here's the long list: http://ovationsystemsinc.com/vag/vag.txt
Old 09-13-2011, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Only thing wrong is Brake Switch. May be you should start there. That would be easy and cheap repair.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Only thing wrong is Brake Switch. May be you should start there. That would be easy and cheap repair.
+1

I believe that the brake switch was the culprit of a particular issue I had with my 2004 A8L 4.2. Similar to one of the OP's issues, I experienced it not shifting out of 1st when taking off from a stand still and when I did get up to speed (mostly on the freeway before I took it in) it would seem like the engine was loosing power but I believe what was happening was the transmission was going into neutral because it was getting a signal that the brake pedal was being depressed. Shifting from Drive to Neutral and then back helped get it going again for a bit. The problem was completely resolved when the brake pedal switch/sensor was replaced (I hope I'm not getting components mixed up...)

Last edited by ModestW12; 09-14-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds very similar to my problem. I've also been noticing the lack of power which feels like it has shifted prematurely into 3rd at too low of an RPM.

This also sounds related to another problem that occurred the same day the shifting issue started. I had someone following on the highway and they noticed my brake lights flashing when I was attempting to set the adaptive cruise control. I wrote it off as being too close to the guy in front of me, but at the time I was convinced I was back far enough. Perhaps this was the sensor going bad.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the 4-wheel alignment done earlier in the week is related too -- I had some sort of 4-wheel "super" alignment (apparently required when you have adaptive cruise control). "Super", in that it cost $390 at the stealership -- <i>thanks for picking that up, CarMax</i>.

Thanks for the info. I'll take it to the tech to hopefully expedite my recovery.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think you may be onto something - I have never heard of that kind of "Super Alignment." Makes me suspicious. My dealer charges $160 for the alignment, and there's no mention of it being any different than for any other Audi. Question is - if it is the brake sensor issue is this a DIY repair?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Brake switch repaired and the car is back to normal. What a bizarre set of problems...I somewhat get why they happened, but weird.

One final note is that on the way to the shop, the ESP faulted. Shop says this may be another symptom of the brake switch failure. This problem has not resurfaced since I got the car back, so perhaps it was related. I am still a little suspicious that this all may be alignment related.

Quick Reply: 2007 S8 tranmission not shifting in Drive or Sport mode