A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 A8L underwater.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rebuilt several cars (my current A8 being one of them https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2787743 )and I have never considered a flooded car because my time/budget would not allow it.

I admire persistance and applaud you for this undertaking. If you need help I will be monitoring this thread for progress and will gladly share any info I have.

Post pics if you can

Cheers

Edward
Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Photos are coming. Things are starting to dry out. Thank you all for your help.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I too would have no qualms about the work itself or sorting out the technical issues as I am sure there will be many. It does not sound as bad if it was freshwater, the electrolytic issues of saltwater make the problem far worse, so that makes it a better bet for sure. The problem for me would be spending so much time away from a young family when you cannot recreate that once it has passed, a car is simply a bit of inert metal, glass and plastics, it will not make you smile on Christmas morning nor give you a big hug when you get home from a day at work. All I am saying is make sure you get the balance right and don't devote unreplaceble time to an inert object while you have real people around you - their time does not stand still while you have your head under the bonnet, sorry, hood!

Good luck with it and I hope it all works out for you - the first thing I would do is rip up the whole carpet - none of the sound deadening will survive - if you leave any moisture under there it will become a nasty green slime in a few months time.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Edd W
I too would have no qualms about the work itself or sorting out the technical issues as I am sure there will be many. It does not sound as bad if it was freshwater, the electrolytic issues of saltwater make the problem far worse, so that makes it a better bet for sure. The problem for me would be spending so much time away from a young family when you cannot recreate that once it has passed, a car is simply a bit of inert metal, glass and plastics, it will not make you smile on Christmas morning nor give you a big hug when you get home from a day at work. All I am saying is make sure you get the balance right and don't devote unreplaceble time to an inert object while you have real people around you - their time does not stand still while you have your head under the bonnet, sorry, hood!

Good luck with it and I hope it all works out for you - the first thing I would do is rip up the whole carpet - none of the sound deadening will survive - if you leave any moisture under there it will become a nasty green slime in a few months time.
The carpets and padding are already out, cleaned and dry. No smell. It was not hard to remove the interior. I must say again, what does my wife and kids have to do with this? You stated, "spending so much time away from a young family?" What? My garage is set up like a living room/play room for everyone. There is carpet, heat, T.V. a sofa, a fridge and games. If I am screwing around with my cars, the family is right there with me. I do not feel the need to lock myself in a garage for hours at a time working on my cars. I do not know how many times I have to say this, my wife could care less if I park 50 cars all over my yard and I could care less if she, "for example" had 50 pairs of shoes or coats or whatever. What we care about is just taking care of each other and our family, which is just what we do. How about sticking to car talk ok? This way, you do not put your foot in your mouth at times. Sorry to say this, however,some of you guys are giving your advice when you really do not know what you are saying. To top it off, you are giving false advice to a Psychiatrist....Thank you.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Each to his own although I suspect phsychology is more the area which would apply here.
I am not really giving advice, I am not qualified to do that especially in such esteemed company, simply providing my opinion where clearly the distiction between the two profession is somewhat confused.

Good luck with the car and I hope you do get it fully sorted - it is certainly re-cycling at its best!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm shaking my head.....WHY?!?

ANYTHING flood damaged is a write off in my books. Unless you plan on using it for an attractive garden display of some sort.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PHATA8L
The carpets and padding are already out, cleaned and dry. No smell. It was not hard to remove the interior. I must say again, what does my wife and kids have to do with this? You stated, "spending so much time away from a young family?" What? My garage is set up like a living room/play room for everyone. There is carpet, heat, T.V. a sofa, a fridge and games. If I am screwing around with my cars, the family is right there with me. I do not feel the need to lock myself in a garage for hours at a time working on my cars. I do not know how many times I have to say this, my wife could care less if I park 50 cars all over my yard and I could care less if she, "for example" had 50 pairs of shoes or coats or whatever. What we care about is just taking care of each other and our family, which is just what we do. How about sticking to car talk ok? This way, you do not put your foot in your mouth at times. Sorry to say this, however,some of you guys are giving your advice when you really do not know what you are saying. To top it off, you are giving false advice to a Psychiatrist....Thank you.
Take a photo with the car in the garage and your family sitting around it, maybe it will settle the situation
Old 02-02-2014, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After more than a year, I just had an email from someone here asking me how I made out with the flooded 2008 A8L so here is an update if anyone is interested. As I hoped, the car came back to life. I replaced the computers that were under water, put the interior back together after cleaning everything and now, over a year after the flood, the car is still running fine. Nothing has gone wrong since. The wiring was still dry. I would say if there were more issues, they would have come up by now. It turned out to be quite a deal for the money. Since then, I picked up a few more floods, a late model BMW M5, another late model Mercedes S550 and a brand new Toyota that was flooded on the dealer lot. The Toyota and BMW are fine again. I just changed the computers that were wet. I did not start on the S550 yet. We all learned alot and my family enjoyed the thrill of seeing the cars start up and run fine again. The cars are our family fun time projects.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PHATA8L
After more than a year, I just had an email from someone here asking me how I made out with the flooded 2008 A8L so here is an update if anyone is interested. As I hoped, the car came back to life. I replaced the computers that were under water, put the interior back together after cleaning everything and now, over a year after the flood, the car is still running fine. Nothing has gone wrong since. The wiring was still dry. I would say if there were more issues, they would have come up by now. It turned out to be quite a deal for the money. Since then, I picked up a few more floods, a late model BMW M5, another late model Mercedes S550 and a brand new Toyota that was flooded on the dealer lot. The Toyota and BMW are fine again. I just changed the computers that were wet. I did not start on the S550 yet. We all learned alot and my family enjoyed the thrill of seeing the cars start up and run fine again. The cars are our family fun time projects.

THE MAN!!!

Never follow!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ouch!! You're taking a huge gamble especially on a ultra high end luxury flagship sedan which you know you are. I just bought an dark green 06 A8L a few days ago that's been in an accident back in 6/2013 but it's been fixed professionally and did a fantastic superb job on it, especially painting it. Looks perfectly like it rolled off the showroom floor. In my opinion I rather buy a car that has a clear title and that's been in an accident(1 moderate, 2 minor damage reported) in the past that's been professionally fixed than buying a flood car any day of the week. To me it's a no brainer. I hope you literally stole the car(you know what I mean). Very scary and can only do so much getting the water out but will be in the pores on the wiring insulation even after getting it dried but a little will be in the harnesses and will be a future electrical gremlin. That would be my biggest concern and nothing electrical on these cars are cheap, especially certain modules. Not trying to criticize you in what you do but to each your own. I really do hope things work out for you and wish you the best of luck and keep up posted on the progress.

Hey btw you're a real D platform enthusiast with having 4 of these cars .

Quick Reply: 2008 A8L underwater.