A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 TDI - Is This Start Up Noise Normal - Potential Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 TDI - Is This Start Up Noise Normal - Potential Purchase

I apologise for starting a new thread regarding looking for an A8 TDI 4.2 but i need some feedback as soon as possible on this car i want to buy. The car has 73k miles, it has service history with 4 or 5 stamps on the long life servicing intervals. You can see the car has been very well looked after and its immaculate.

I will get straight to the point i took the engine cover off to hear the engine from a cold start, i was a bit shocked by the noise it made, you could hear the chain and the engine was very noisy indeed, im coming from a V8 petrol Jaguar but i have had many diesels too, there is a metallic like (chain sound) and there is the loud clatter noise you get from a diesel, i would say it did not sound like something was wrong, it just sounded a lot different from what i thought it would.

I found this video clip on you tube and i would say it does sound the same as the car i seen today, so maybe this is normal for this engine, the video on YouTube does not say anything is wrong but it lets you hear the engine with the engine cover off. What do you guys think does this sound normal.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

To be honest with you. i would say it's ok especially in the weather we have at present. But I also must say that I can't remember the last time I took the engine cover off mine and did a cold start. The problem is the contrast between what you hear in the cabin with all the sound deadening and double glazed windows and how smooth the car drives your brain is expecting it to sound like an electric car.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
To be honest with you. i would say it's ok especially in the weather we have at present. But I also must say that I can't remember the last time I took the engine cover off mine and did a cold start. The problem is the contrast between what you hear in the cabin with all the sound deadening and double glazed windows and how smooth the car drives your brain is expecting it to sound like an electric car.
Thanks for your reply. Yes i know not everyone is in the habit of starting the car with the engine cover off, from the insulated cabin its going to sound fine with all the sound proofing this car has. As long as you dont think there is anything wrong then thats good to hear. Yes you do expect to find a smooth quite purring v8 engine but its obviously not like that at all. I posted the same video on the A8 group on Facebook and 3 people have said it sounded ok and nothing to worry about. Many thanks for your feedback.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds good to me too. If you want to hear noisy, try a ford pickup with a diesel.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by richard-tx
Sounds good to me too. If you want to hear noisy, try a ford pickup with a diesel.
Thanks for your feedback Richard. I have had many diesels but they all used a timing belt, i just had to check this out before making a commitment. Im pleased to hear it sounds ok, now i can go ahead and buy this wonderful car i seen yesterday
Old 11-14-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

The payment has been made, insurance notified, im getting the train to north wales tonight to pick up my new to me a8 car. Cheers guys