A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2L V8 | Engine Swap Possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2L V8 | Engine Swap Possibilities

Hi guys I'm looking to buy a spare engine for my car with low miles. I've found several BFM motors for my year, 2004-late 2005.

I'm just wondering, what are the repercussions, if any, to attempting to swap a BAS motor from a C6 A6, or a BHF motor from an S4, or one from a Q7, or a Touareg or a Phaeton, etc.

I would love to rebuild/modify my current engine and get a replacement daily to swap into my car, however with all the options out there I'm wondering if the swaps mentioned above are possible.

What about buying a 4.2TDI engine? I would love a diesel daily.

Excuse my naivety, just curious as to what possibilities lie out there.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

Diesel no way, Q7 is different engine, as is S4.

A6 motor is a performance downgrade and may have some finicky differences that won’t play nice with the existing electronics/controls.

You don’t see engine swaps in modern cars these days because of the complexity of getting the electronics to play nice.

If you need a new motor for an ‘04, unless you DIY it, the cost/benefit makes no sense. Better off scrapping it and buying a working one.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Planning on DIY

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Diesel no way, Q7 is different engine, as is S4.

A6 motor is a performance downgrade and may have some finicky differences that won’t play nice with the existing electronics/controls.

You don’t see engine swaps in modern cars these days because of the complexity of getting the electronics to play nice.

If you need a new motor for an ‘04, unless you DIY it, the cost/benefit makes no sense. Better off scrapping it and buying a working one.
The plan when I got this car has always been to get a spare motor and a spare transmission to have on-hand.

The only bit I'm concerned about is the need to go to the dealer to reprogram the ECU.

I found several BFM motors that will fit with miles as low as 70k. However I need to know if it will be plug and play. I'm oversimplifying this but would it be like getting a replacement BOSCH ABS module and having to recode it using the previous model's coding strand?

Also I know the S4 is a completely different engine was just curious to see if it's readable.

In regards to the diesel, what would change/ what parts need fabrication/investment in?

Thank you for the above info on the other engines

Last edited by Automotive_Buff; 07-30-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Why do you need a spare engine and transmission on hand? The BFM and 6HP are pretty much bullit proof if maintained properly. Certainly they will last as long as the rest of the car.

A BFM and trans from an A8 in your market should be pretty much plug and play as long as you keep your original ECU in place. Trans will need dealer coding though as the TCU is built into the transmission itself.

4.2 TDI was never available in North American market so never type approved. The largely insurmountable regulatory roadblocks aside, you’d have to import everything from Europe. At a guess, at least the engine, transmission (higher torque and different gearing), maybe transfer case and diffs again due to different gearing. All the exhaust system, fuel system, different cooling system, all the ECU’s and wiring loom, and myriad sub assemblies that differ, such as suspension compressor mounts, heat sheilding, etc.etc.

In short a massive and expensive challenge that makes no sense. If you must have one, as you’re in Canada, just wait until they’re 15 years old and import one direct from Germany. It’ll take you that long to convert one, but will be cheaper.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Automotive_Buff
The plan when I got this car has always been to get a spare motor and a spare transmission to have on-hand.

The only bit I'm concerned about is the need to go to the dealer to reprogram the ECU.

I found several BFM motors that will fit with miles as low as 70k. However I need to know if it will be plug and play. I'm oversimplifying this but would it be like getting a replacement BOSCH ABS module and having to recode it using the previous model's coding strand?

Also I know the S4 is a completely different engine was just curious to see if it's readable.

In regards to the diesel, what would change/ what parts need fabrication/investment in?

Thank you for the above info on the other engines
Look into trying to get a BGK engine. It is essentially a late model BFM with a little more horsepower, and slight modifications from Audi.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

BGK? What mods/upgrades does it have over the BFM? Was is ever installed in US models?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Why do you need a spare engine and transmission on hand? The BFM and 6HP are pretty much bullit proof if maintained properly. Certainly they will last as long as the rest of the car.

A BFM and trans from an A8 in your market should be pretty much plug and play as long as you keep your original ECU in place. Trans will need dealer coding though as the TCU is built into the transmission itself.

4.2 TDI was never available in North American market so never type approved. The largely insurmountable regulatory roadblocks aside, you’d have to import everything from Europe. At a guess, at least the engine, transmission (higher torque and different gearing), maybe transfer case and diffs again due to different gearing. All the exhaust system, fuel system, different cooling system, all the ECU’s and wiring loom, and myriad sub assemblies that differ, such as suspension compressor mounts, heat sheilding, etc.etc.

In short a massive and expensive challenge that makes no sense. If you must have one, as you’re in Canada, just wait until they’re 15 years old and import one direct from Germany. It’ll take you that long to convert one, but will be cheaper.
I would like to rebuild my current motor, and possibly even modify it. Would love to make my A8 a sleeper, so why not? The current motor and trans are sitting at 274k km. I can get one with 110k km for less than a grand. I have the means to pull the engine out and work on it, plus engine shops are pretty close to my home. Got some connections with the guys over at Eurocharged as well as close friends that are Indy Mechanics.

While the original engine and trans are being worked on, I could still drive my A8 around with the newer engine and trans.

Originally Posted by jlbell
Look into trying to get a BGK engine. It is essentially a late model BFM with a little more horsepower, and slight modifications from Audi.
Correct me if I'm wrong but is the BGK the 4.2L FSI engine used in 2005/6+ model years? The one that has engine timing chains instead of belts?
Old 08-04-2018, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Automotive_Buff
Correct me if I'm wrong but is the BGK the 4.2L FSI engine used in 2005/6+ model years? The one that has engine timing chains instead of belts?
After looking though some ErWin documentation it is apparent that in 2005 the BFM engine code was changed to BGK. The only difference that I can spot from other documentation such as injection and ignition is that the BGK engine removed a fuel pressure regulator at the top of the engine.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Mr. Clabough

Originally Posted by jlbell
Own a 2012 audi a8 quattro with 4.2 liter engine. I have the same idea about rebuilding a spare engine. If / when timing chain goes, I want to have rebuilt engine ready to swap in. I know, sounds crazy, but I'm old school and rebuilding a backup engine just sounds cool.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I also have a spare drivetrain including engine and transmission. Not sure what I`ll do with it. BFMs are tough !