A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L W12 rear passengers door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8L W12 rear passengers door won't open

Hi folks

Just joined have 2004 A8L W12 6.0L
I seem to have a problem with the rear passengers door.
It will not open from inside or outside.
It has the power door closing and electronic child locks via the drivers door.
I managed to get it open once with my son trying the handle inside and me trying handle and fob on the outside.
When I shut the door I have not been able to open it again.
Put it in my local garage and they tried opening it via the computer but no joy, you car hear the lock operating but nothing happens.
I do not think I can even get the door card off without the door being open as the door lock fits trough it .
I did notice that when the doors are locked the red LED's illuminate on all the doors but when you try to open the rear passengers door from the inside the LED's do not go off, The LED's go off when you try the handle on the drivers passenger side
Anyone any ideas?

thanks in advance
Alan
Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

It looks like you have child lock enabled and that is the reason why you cannot open it from inside. But there is no explanation why you cannot open it outside. It would be really hard to fix it. I do not even know how you can disassemble it when it closed.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you already asked here.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

many thanks for your reply.
I sorted out my TPMS sensors getting 5 from Taiwan for the price of a new audi one, they were 433MHz.

I thought about the child locks, they are controlled from the switches on the drivers door and the led's work on them. I think I have a lazy lock mechanism
I hope to get the door open and then I will be able to have the door card removed. I was thinking of putting my battery charger on the battery to up the voltage using the boost function to see if it would help.
I sure would like to see a simple diagram of how the door lock works or a write up. I have Elsawin but I have not been able to see exactly how the locks are meant to work

many thanks
Alan
Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just wanted to make clear that I could not open the door from the inside or the outside.
thanks
Alan
Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Two incremental ideas:

Both guesses:

1. The driver's door switch panel. Maybe the lockout switch has just failed in the locked mode. Your discussion of the LED's causes me to think about that.

2. Maybe the mechanicals are just balky as you suggest. Charge it as you say, and if you haven't already, try the age old idea of parking it in the sun and just getting the car and sheet metal generally warmed up. When I've had balky door mechanics before on other brand vehicles, sometimes I notice some sun and/or drying things out can help.

Obviously the nightmare scenario would be the cable connection from the handle(s) to the latch mechanism inside the door is messed up. Fortunately, rare. Only if all switches seem to function right, door lock clicking to both unlock and lock and all the other "normal" things seeming right would I start to conclude the cable connection is bad,
Old 04-11-2013, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

You will need to go in via the window slot at the top of the door. Otherwise you will have to destroy part of the door trim panel to access the lock mechanism/cable. You may be able to remove the wood panel and then use a hole saw to make some access holes that you can cover with the wood panel afterward. Hope you can do it from the top. A few wedges allow you to make the opening at the top wider.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for your replies,I am reluctant to start estroying the door card but if it is the only option left I will.
I think I will try and take as much of the door card of as I can I may be able to remove back seat and swing the door card outabit like on a hinge.
This might give me access to the interioe of the door.
I am still hoping that I can get it opan again which would make things alot easier.
Unfortuneatlly I am overseas at the moment and I am try to get as much info to pass onto my local garage.

thanks again
Alan
Old 04-12-2013, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi thanks for your reply
I do not know if I could get in the top as it has electric blinds fitted to the doors.
I am gathering info to pass onto my local garage as I am overseas at the moment.
thnaks
again
Alan
Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

How about one of those towing truck operators? They can unlock most of driver doors, why not any other door?

Edit: Probably not. I've just consulted ETKA. There is nothing mechanical they can access. Try unlocking and opening it many times in a row pushing your door in?

Last edited by mishar; 04-12-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: A8L W12 rear passengers door won't open