A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L W12 rear passengers door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be able to get some access inside the door by removing the door pocket, and the plastic cover over the pocket.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Unfortunately FWIW

I pulled off a rear door interior panel at one point to try to get to a door ding from inside. Once I did, essentially I was faced with a solid wall of aluminum and no way at all obvious into the inner gut of the door. My sense was the whole window frame sub assembly (the way newer Audi doors all seem built) had to be unbolted and removed to get at stuff deep in the door. I put the panel back on and headed to the door ding fix place.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Will this help?

Name:  DoorTrimRear.png
Views: 9779
Size:  82.7 KB
Old 04-17-2013, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Many thanks for the info Mishar.
When I finally get the door fixed I will post a report with pics to help anyone else.
I also wish to thank everyone in this forum for their help and I would like to point out that I have joined about 6 other audi forums and none of them are anywhere near as good as audiworld.com, well done!
thanks again
Alan
Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello, alh3010!
I still think there is no way to do it from inside. I had to disassemble the door once on the old Audi V8 I used to have. The panel is sitting on the clips all around except the top. You may try to pull top panel a little bit off the glass, so it will give you the space to look inside. But even then the lock is on other side of the glass and you may not see anything or you may not be able to interfere with it.
To be honest I do not even know how I would approach such issue. But it would be nice to know how you’ll resolve it
Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You may take apart the other door and study it. It may give you some ideas. You won't be able to open inside trim with door closed. It goes all around in between body and door. You might be able to take that curtain part off and get some limited access, but you must know what to do than.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Rear door

Originally Posted by mishar
You may take apart the other door and study it. It may give you some ideas. You won't be able to open inside trim with door closed. It goes all around in between body and door. You might be able to take that curtain part off and get some limited access, but you must know what to do than.
Rear Door now working, not sure why,
Garage updated software but could not get door to open.
Just got home from overseas so picked car up and I have been using the lazy option for getting in and out the car, (key in pocket).
I opened the rear door from outside without thinking to get a back pack out that I had slung in the rear.
I then tried the door again about 20 times locking and unlocking works every time.
Has been working OK ever since!
Old 03-19-2014, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alh3010
Rear Door now working, not sure why,
Garage updated software but could not get door to open.
Just got home from overseas so picked car up and I have been using the lazy option for getting in and out the car, (key in pocket).
I opened the rear door from outside without thinking to get a back pack out that I had slung in the rear.
I then tried the door again about 20 times locking and unlocking works every time.
Has been working OK ever since!
UPDATE
rear door stopped working again I think due to the cold weather. I heated the car up with an electric heater and lock stated working again. It did not last long so I heated the car up again got the door open and replaced the lock. It was a bit of work as the electric blinds and window + frame had to be removed. Now all done and working
Old 07-01-2022, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hi I have the same issue with the rear passenger door not opening but it only happens intermittently and when I press unlock from the driver door you can hear it unlocking but it won't open. my car is a 2005 Audi A8L 6.0 W12. any advise would be most appreciated thank you
Old 07-04-2022, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eemahn
hi I have the same issue with the rear passenger door not opening but it only happens intermittently and when I press unlock from the driver door you can hear it unlocking but it won't open. my car is a 2005 Audi A8L 6.0 W12. any advise would be most appreciated thank you
sounds the same as I had, I have changed the rear left passengers door lock twice now, last time it failed open. Beware if it fails closed its near imp[ossable to chenge the rear lock. I think the locks get lazy.

Quick Reply: A8L W12 rear passengers door won't open