A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8s in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A8s are great in adverse conditions, but you've got to plan for what you might encounter--weather, driving style, terrain. The most important mechanical aspect of retaining control are the tires. Regardless of the rest of the car--weight, all-wheel drive, electronic controls, etc--you will lose control if you drive past the limits. And once you're sliding, well, you're sliding.

By definition all-seasons are a compromise and will work OK for average driving in average conditions. The further from average that your driving takes you--again weather, driving style, terrain--the more important it is to 'tune' your car to the needs.

So if you live where it gets cold, use winter tires when it's cold and summer tires when it's warm. The rubber compounds used in each type is designed specifically for the differences in temperatures. If you get a lot of snow or sloppy mud, consider studless snows which have more aggressive treads to further help with traction. In the long run you'll find it's a good investment in both safety and driving experience.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't let the Quattro marketing fool you.

In heavy snow I'd take a rear wheel drive car with snows over an Audi with all-seasons any day.

Zero traction is zero traction, doesn't matter how many wheels you have spinning 4 x 0 is still zero.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

2013 Audi S4 Premium 6sp M - Estoril Blue - Drive Select

Last edited by Zatoichi; 01-22-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went for the 40's...I am surprised at how quiet they really are... I guess that's why they are actually "winter performance tires", and not "snow tires"
Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bwayne5
A8s are great in adverse conditions, but you've got to plan for what you might encounter--weather, driving style, terrain. The most important mechanical aspect of retaining control are the tires. Regardless of the rest of the car--weight, all-wheel drive, electronic controls, etc--you will lose control if you drive past the limits. And once you're sliding, well, you're sliding.

By definition all-seasons are a compromise and will work OK for average driving in average conditions. The further from average that your driving takes you--again weather, driving style, terrain--the more important it is to 'tune' your car to the needs.

So if you live where it gets cold, use winter tires when it's cold and summer tires when it's warm. The rubber compounds used in each type is designed specifically for the differences in temperatures. If you get a lot of snow or sloppy mud, consider studless snows which have more aggressive treads to further help with traction. In the long run you'll find it's a good investment in both safety and driving experience.
I agree.... AND, regarding "cost", if you plan to keep the car for 3yrs or more, there really is no cost as you just extend the life of your "summer" tires by being safe in the winter as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Zatoichi
Don't let the Quattro marketing fool you.

In heavy snow I'd take a rear wheel drive car with snows over an Audi with all-seasons any day.

Zero traction is zero traction, doesn't matter how many wheels you have spinning 4 x 0 is still zero.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

2013 Audi S4 Premium 6sp M - Estoril Blue - Drive Select
I hate to say, but you are wrong. Rear wheel drive cars on the average have 55:45 weight distribution. So just simple physics says that you need 2.2 times better traction if it is only rear wheel drive. No such winter tires yet.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Since summer tires have a lower tread rating and are generally softer; do they not last long at all? Never had summer tires on any car.

So all seasons vs summer and winter tire combos. In terms of length of life.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Since summer tires have a lower tread rating and are generally softer; do they not last long at all? Never had summer tires on any car.

To my knowledge, "sticky", or "summer" tires when driven hard have a shorter life span than all seasons by 5 to 8K miles (debatable)... If you intend to keep the keep the car longer than 7 years then the cost will be higher... Not sure if the avg A8 owner will keep their beauty that long. If you are affected by cold weather patterns in your area, will you really compromise safety when you need it most?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Brozee

Tire choice and driving habits seem to be more critical in my experience. My tire guys were amazed to see I got a whole 11k out of a set of Pzeros on my TT a few years ago, while I had more than 35k from the Hankooks I put on my supercharged Jaguar XF and good tread to spare when I sold it. Take my word that the Jag was driven harder, too. And the Hankooks were less than half the cost of the Pirellis. Go figure, eh?

I've found I get 3 winters (5 months/yr) and 2 summers (7 months/yr) from a combination of the 8 tires. If I was running A/S's I'd be midway through the second set I think, so I think oceans makes two important points: Over three years the cost isn't significantly more, and at what price are you willing to compromise safety? I'll add a third point to this: I think cars are more entertaining with proper tiring too.

FWIW: I'm running Blizzaks right now but prefer X-Ices in the winter, Conti DW's in the summer.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all your responses. I knew winter tyres made a difference but its great to hear that you can get around in all seasons on heavier snow than I get here.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 AM
idf
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
I hate to say, but you are wrong. Rear wheel drive cars on the average have 55:45 weight distribution. So just simple physics says that you need 2.2 times better traction if it is only rear wheel drive. No such winter tires yet.
Would have to agree here. Watch any BMW putz around in the snow for proof.

AWD is much more stable and predictable than a RWD car which will slide out at any moment. Having traction directed to non-spinning wheels is a boon.

We had 26" of snow here 2 years ago and I actually plowed my street with my A8. I couldnt believe how good it was in the snow with regular tires.

So no, just no.

Quick Reply: A8s in snow