A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8s in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default I'll be a contrarian for the OP's first reaction in replies below--get snows for snow

My snow driving is Tahoe--freeways often total dry, then 12" in 6 hours. Clear roads are then snow encrusted and later icy for days. Worse right after plowing and each morning. Add slopes in and great recipe for problems.

Net, you can get driving traction with A/S's. I've been doing that since a 96 A6 quattro with A/S's. And yes, Audi's system is much better than most of the part time systems out there. Most any of them can get you through, but if you get into only one and two wheel (especially opposite axles) traction situations, then you'll appreciate the delta.

The real issues will be stopping as well as a sudden slide in a modest corner where physics sends you straight the nanosecond the tires lose grip. Physics, slopes and adhesion are in control there much more and the brake pedal and steering gives much less control than the gas pedal and diffs for starting out. In Tahoe with hills, just try stopping on ice down even a moderate hill. We have one hill where on perfectly good A/S's (in a Toyota AWD where snows were off due to a flat and TireRack shipping time) I have literally slid 150 feet at < 25MPH; the pole ahead where the road curves becomes imposing! By 97 with a Chrysler AWD minivan and a variety of "push and pray" stops I had realized it was time for dedicated snows.

I have also seen many a "flatlander" (as folks from the Bay Area who strut up there in their latest AWD and other fashion are referred to) have climbed poles up to 60 degrees upward on the opposite side of the road (Volvo XC90), Jeep Cherokees completely upside down when they slid into the deep drainage ditch, and Dodge Ram 4x 4's doing ballet one into a snow bank w/ bent fender, other who slid at 50MPH plus on a two lane highway slight curve on way to Tahoe into opposing traffic but w/ no car fortunately there. Have seen endless SUV's into guard rails, bent fronts and backs on roadside, etc.

Personally drove the A8 to Aspen last year. Clear weather both ways and went w/ just A/S's (well regarded Michelin Sport A/S's). Mistake. Two days after the local Aspen snow it was still skidding to a stop at most any intersection at 20MPH unless you stopped over dozens of yards. Slid right into a broad traffic circle half sideways in slow motion action, honking to get the big bus to stop and avoid a broadside. Wife had same kind of experiences and she just putts around. Most of the scary experiences were in very flat areas too rather than slopes.

Net, you can rationalize A/S's if you drive extremely carefully in any stopping or potential sliding situation. Trouble is many of those you can't predict, which is when rationalizing starts to break down. Getting going you'll be fine 99%+ of the time. But in low traction turning and sudden stopping, you will learn the phrases well, hang on or push and pray.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-23-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All good points (mainly) but....

..may I make another suggestion?

Maybe we should stop trying to find ways to make our cars remove our responsibility to be in control at all times... perhaps spend the money on recognised advanced driver training. It doesn't matter how capable a car is if a) there's a half-wit behind the wheel or b) the driver is ambushed by situations they could/should have seen coming.

Have I had accidents? Yes! Any my fault? Yes!
Am I perfect? Hell No!

I can't comment on the A8's inclement weather performance personally anyway, as the moment the weather man/woman around here starts even thinking about snow or freezing temperatures, the '8' goes in the garage under a cover, and the Range Rover bears the burden.

As Mr. Scott would say, "Ya cannae change the laws of physics.."

Rubber (tyres ) plus lubrication (ice/snow ) equals slippery fun.... we all know that.

K9

Originally Posted by MCFC for life
Do any of you a8 drivers find your car can drive up steep hills in snow? Do you use snow tires? Are all-seasons adequate?

How do you find down-hill braking?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/29/p...l-wheel-drive/

http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsn...ation-when-it-

https://www.google.ca/search?q=RWD+w...w=1376&bih=601

I stand by my comments but obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion/preference.

Last edited by Zatoichi; 01-24-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Bridgstone Potenza RE970AS have been OK. I think one of the issues in the snow is the width of the tire. I think I would definitely benefit from snow tires, the all-seasons keep me alert and 'driving' LOL