A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acoustic Glass ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Acoustic Glass ?

Is the film sandwiched between the glass in the D4 A8 option for Acoustic Glass diferent than the film used in the D3 Security Glass ? In other words , do we have 'acoustic glass' in our D3s ? The Security Glass certainly makes the car quieter than single glass, but is the Acoustic Glass a more effective design ?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default I expect its probably the same

On my W12, you can see the sandwich design of the glass when you roll the window down and look at the edge. Was sold on the D3 and W12 as for acoustic, though it has been noted it makes the window pretty hard to break to with the thicker and laminated nature of it.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the same thing.

Actually called Double Pane Glass by Audi marketing.
The PR code lists it as Burglar Restrained Glass which is what I've heard the guy in Europe call it.

Seems to have become pretty standard on the A8L from 2012 on, and a option on the NWB.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default In the 2004 D3 4.2...

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
On my W12, you can see the sandwich design of the glass when you roll the window down and look at the edge. Was sold on the D3 and W12 as for acoustic, though it has been noted it makes the window pretty hard to break to with the thicker and laminated nature of it.
showroom brochure that I have for my car the option was called Security Glass, not Acoustic Glass. On the Audi USA web site for the D4 the option is called Acoustic Glass; hence my question.

I'm wondering if thats just marketing lingo or if there has been a change in construction.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe that's more of a legal matter than marketing.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mishar
I believe that's more of a legal matter than marketing.
Agreed.

Nobody can deny it reduces noise.
You could quibble over how "secure" it is, especially in court...

Hence the word 'restrained' as opposed to 'proof'
Old 11-22-2012, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2013 A8L has regular glass.

I've seen the acoustic or security glass before. It's very obvious when you have it.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Right...

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
My 2013 A8L has regular glass.

I've seen the acoustic or security glass before. It's very obvious when you have it.
and I do have Security Glass. And that glass is quieter than single pane glass. I am just trying to find out if I have glass that is, de facto "Acoustic Glass". Or do the D4s have a better technology for glass to reduce sound even further.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This glass is not standard on the D4, but AFAIK it was on the D3.
My D3 was listed as having burglar restrained glass, but when looking at it it says )))ACOUSTIC on it, so I assume it's the same thing. Here is a video of it being broken for those who may not have seen it... FFWD to 2.00minutes

Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snapdragon
This glass is not standard on the D4, but AFAIK it was on the D3.
My D3 was listed as having burglar restrained glass, but when looking at it it says )))ACOUSTIC on it, so I assume it's the same thing. Here is a video of it being broken for those who may not have seen it... FFWD to 2.00minutes
My D3 did not have, but it seems to be more prevalent outside the US - which prompted my question pre purchase.
There is also a video of a group of Russian (?) guys trying to break it - they REALLY go at it with tire irons, etc.

Originally Posted by awdinut
I am just trying to find out if I have glass that is, de facto "Acoustic Glass". Or do the D4s have a better technology for glass to reduce sound even further.
I would call AoA Flagship and see what they say - all we can do is guess otherwise.
The D4 in general is much quieter than the D3.
The glass puts it over the top and all but the very loudest "music" and vehicles are muted when closing all the glass.
It was a must have for me, and now that I've got it would never be without it.
Especially for $600.

Quick Reply: Acoustic Glass ?