A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acoustic Glass ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default not laminated

Hello Jake,
The guys in the video you posted were trying to and did finally break the glass, but the glass they broke was the regular tempered glass and not the dual pane safety or acoustic as can be seen in the way it shattered and fell to the ground, the video that snapdragon posted is the way the dual pane breaks, just like a windshield.

My W12 was hit a few days ago by something on the left rear door glass and it cracked the outer layer only, it was extremely loud and have no idea what it was as there were no vehicles around.

On a side note, someone said to me, "oh that's great, laminated all around, now you can't use a spring loaded center punch to break the door glass and escape when you drive into the river"

I think there is more of chance of some jackass trying to break in then me driving into deep water, I hope....
Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I wasn't sure about the authenticity of the video, but it was interesting

I used to carry a punch with me, in fact it's probably still in my trunk in case it needs to be deployed to help someone else.

With Audi Pre-Sense Plus and Audi Braking Guard I'm hopeful it won't be an issue for me.
Will just have to wait for the pressures to balance if god forbid the A8 goes under water...
And yep, I'm with you on the break in possibility being higher.

Have had the distance warning go off more than once when people around me do stupid things

Old 11-24-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default I would say it definitely provides security....

Originally Posted by jakematic
Agreed.

Nobody can deny it reduces noise.
You could quibble over how "secure" it is, especially in court...

Hence the word 'restrained' as opposed to 'pro'of'
The glass (plastic composite laminations) used on an A8 panzer or any other armoured vehicle is not actually 'bullet proof'; if you shoot the same area with enough rounds the glass will eventually be penetrated. But before the time it takes to do that damage is reached one would , or so the plan goes, be gone from the shooter's presence. And so with Security Glass...as the You Tube video with the S8 shows, it takes several minutes, even with a hammer (!) to breach the Security Glass, and presumably one would simply drive off before the person trying to car-jack you gets the window broken. I think its PERSONAL security that Audi is referring to; yes the car can be broken into when left unattended (only insurance involved there) but not while you are in the car (definitely your security involved there). And that does make me feel much more secure.