A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Headlight Defective error- input requested

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Headlight Defective error- input requested

So in an effort to upgrade the projectors in my adaptive headlights, I managed to some how or another hose the drivers side (only side I took out the car). The way it manifests itself is that the driver's side headlight does not self adjust any longer.

The VCDS Log is below.

----------------------
VCDS Log
----------------------
Address 55: Headlight Range Labels: 4F0-910-357.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 4F0 910 357 F HW: 4F0 907 357 F
Component and/or Version: AFS 1 H01 0020
Software Coding: 0000018
Work Shop Code: WSC 06108 444 59062
Additional Info: NOSUBSYSTEM AFS-Modul links AFS-Modul rechtsH01 0010
VCID: 29591085806EE769185-807C
Fault Codes have been Erased

1 Fault Found:
02233 - Left Headlight Power Output Stage (J667)
004 - No Signal/Communication - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 90
Mileage: 146344 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.01.02
Time: 11:20:46
----------------------------

Attempts at fixing the issue above.

1. I attempted to clear the DTC and recode the Headlight Range module and every time the code would come back instantly.

2. I have swapped both ballasts from the passenger side headlight and still generate the same code on the driver's side headlight.

Before ordering a new headlight I'm hoping some one can shed some light what may be the problem, clearly a part of the headlight has gone bad/crapped out but which one?

For the record outside of the auto leveling, the light functions appropriately.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you seen this
Old 01-02-2015, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Not sure I follow, but a few thoughts

I'm not sure I follow exactly what the issue is--the mixing of the range control and then a code that reads more like a bulb would be out. Plus the adaptive references and then the motorized height adjustment.

In any case, if the auto leveling isn't working, that is motor driven at the headlight. Folks have occasionally had those go out from D3 and older C5 (or D2) posts for HID's. That necessitates a new headlight unit. It can also be dislodged or disconnected sensors on the suspension arms, since those are the inputs for the relative front/rear ride heights that then adjust the headlights up and down. However, even saying that, I'm also not sure I follow your issue still because adaptive isn't up and down leveling like any Audi HID set up has, but instead side to side swiveling of the headlight beam. Again, presumably motor driven. That in turn depends on the the headlight related stuff, but also the steering angle sensor. If that sensor is acting up, you likely have an error for it on the instrument panel. Also BTW if you get an error for the steering angle sensor and clear the codes, my experience is you have to move the steering wheel back and forth some--I often drive down the neighborhood street and cut the car slowly from side to side--to get it to clear fully.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by haggisuk
Have you seen this
Yes I have thank you.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I'm not sure I follow exactly what the issue is--the mixing of the range control and then a code that reads more like a bulb would be out. Plus the adaptive references and then the motorized height adjustment.

In any case, if the auto leveling isn't working, that is motor driven at the headlight. Folks have occasionally had those go out from D3 and older C5 (or D2) posts for HID's. That necessitates a new headlight unit. It can also be dislodged or disconnected sensors on the suspension arms, since those are the inputs for the relative front/rear ride heights that then adjust the headlights up and down. However, even saying that, I'm also not sure I follow your issue still because adaptive isn't up and down leveling like any Audi HID set up has, but instead side to side swiveling of the headlight beam. Again, presumably motor driven. That in turn depends on the the headlight related stuff, but also the steering angle sensor. If that sensor is acting up, you likely have an error for it on the instrument panel. Also BTW if you get an error for the steering angle sensor and clear the codes, my experience is you have to move the steering wheel back and forth some--I often drive down the neighborhood street and cut the car slowly from side to side--to get it to clear fully.
I hope to clarify my issue I'm having. The car is throwing the "Adaptive Headlight Malfunction" code shown above which I see manifesting itself with the headlight not being level with the passenger side one. To be honest didn't even think about it being related to the steering angle sensor, but I'm not getting that on the instrument panel. I'm tempted to do a full scan on the car just for grins and see what may pop up. I'm even going to check the headlight fuses just to humor myself.

Thanks for your insight thus far...any other ideas keep them coming.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Any chance you did not properly seal shut the unit after you messed with it? I made that mistake after changing a bulb and would get errors on humid summer days. Usually when rain was involved. No problem next hot sunny day. Finally figured it out.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It would help if we know what exactly was that upgrade project? What was changed?

Do you have cornering lights?

Do you have halogen high beam light or led DRL?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Any chance you did not properly seal shut the unit after you messed with it? I made that mistake after changing a bulb and would get errors on humid summer days. Usually when rain was involved. No problem next hot sunny day. Finally figured it out.
Never even pulled it out the garage before I saw the error

Originally Posted by mishar
It would help if we know what exactly was that upgrade project? What was changed?

Do you have cornering lights?

Do you have halogen high beam light or led DRL?
There actually was no upgrade...I was going to swap out the E55 projectors for EVO-R projectors but abandoned it after looking at how complicated the housing was.

LED DRL and they seem to work fine and I believe that the cornering lights work fine...in the process of putting the car back together now so we shall see.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraCommander
There actually was no upgrade...I was going to swap out the E55 projectors for EVO-R projectors but abandoned it after looking at how complicated the housing was.

LED DRL and they seem to work fine and I believe that the cornering lights work fine...in the process of putting the car back together now so we shall see.
Leveling motor is connected to Headlight Power Output Stage, the same one VCDS found with connection problem. Focus to all harnesses you disconnected. It could be bent pin or something.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Leveling motor is connected to Headlight Power Output Stage, the same one VCDS found with connection problem. Focus to all harnesses you disconnected. It could be bent pin or something.
Will do Mishar- although it was only the headlight harness, I'll double check everything prior to buttoning it up tonight.