A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Light Defective warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The.aviator2
I've got the same exact fault code. I'm hoping it's a dirty connector since I noticed the warning disappears from the dash at times.

Please let me know when you find what's wrong with it. I'll do the same.
I got the light out and opened it up. It was a mess. All the wiring insulation is basically crumbing away. I tried taping up with electrical tape, but the more I touch/move, the more insulation breaks away. I've not had any luck getting the error to clear. I can't even see at the front of the light where the black wires go, but those actually look like they are in good shape. Taking the chance on a used light via eBay. Will know now it works out in a week or so.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SS_RTR
I got the light out and opened it up. It was a mess. All the wiring insulation is basically crumbing away. I tried taping up with electrical tape, but the more I touch/move, the more insulation breaks away. I've not had any luck getting the error to clear. I can't even see at the front of the light where the black wires go, but those actually look like they are in good shape. Taking the chance on a used light via eBay. Will know now it works out in a week or so.
I guess It's not a simple job after all. Did you have to remove the bumper to get to the headlight?

Good luck with the used one. I'd suggest that you take out the other headlight and polish them both to get them to look matched.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The.aviator2
I guess It's not a simple job after all. Did you have to remove the bumper to get to the headlight?

Good luck with the used one. I'd suggest that you take out the other headlight and polish them both to get them to look matched.
Yes, I took off the bumper cover. Not as bad as I thought. Removed seven bolts on top, three nuts on each side in the fenders, and front belly pan bolts. Removed fog lights to get to side nuts easier. Electrical connector on the light was the toughest item, it was very tight. Looks like the bumper cover has been off before, because a 10mm nuts was missing on one side and two on the other and someone broke a mount on one of the fog lights. I will be taking out the passenger light to buffer because there is some light scuffing across the top. I think my home link is bad so I may replace it while I have the bumper cover off.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ended up replacing the front passenger light with another used headlight due to damage from a rock or something else that created a quarter size puncture. Both lights I bought ended up coming with all parts and I got each complete headlight unit for about $400. The headlights aren't new but they looked a lot better than mine. They came with bulbs but I went ahead and replaced bulbs so I don't have to revisit anytime soon. It is so nice to have no adaptive warnings flashing in the cluster. I also fixed my Homelink by removing connector, splitting unit apart, resealing, and reconnecting. I suspect it was just the connector contacts at the unit or maybe one of the connectors in the overhead unit I had reseated.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default love my Audi but this adaptive light defect warning......

is a real pain in the butt. i don't care about this "nice to have" and solved it by putting a piece of black tape over that obnoxious blinking light right in your sight while driving....very inane and they want how much to fix?