A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on buying an D3 S8

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying an D3 S8

Hi all
I though I would ask a pretty open question about buying an S8
I think I know the car pretty well by now, certainly looked at enough you tube vids and forums lol
There's really no other car in that price range I can get excited about

What I want to know is what the car really costs to run I obviously know the petrol cost will go up!
What about services? Do most people go to Audi dealers?
Any horror stories? The ceramic brakes make me nervous they are not cheap to replace!

I really do love the car and am in a position to but one but don't want to have to sell in in 12 months time due to the cost of looking after it

I'm looking at spending £14000 on one, hopefully between 60,000-80,000 miles and I would want the B&O upgrade and reversing camera
I'm not sure if I should avoid one with ceramic breaks as I certainly wont need performance breaking and the cost of replacing a disc nearly gave me a heart attack, on the other hand the quoted life of discs are I think 180,000 so shouldn't be a problem? Has anyone had one go on them?

I know its a bit of a large open question I guess I'm hoping for a few replies of "nah they don't cost that much to look after go get one" lol

Than you in dvance for any responses
Old 01-06-2016, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

No, they don't cost much to look after assuming you do your own service and maintenance. Want to save on part costs? Use genuine parts instead of the Chinese aftermarket junk.

All this and a whole lot more can be found by using the search & Advanced Search functions. Heck, google is your friend; just add AudiWorld and D3 in the search box.

Then there's the sticky at the top of the D3 thread but we won't get into that. You might want to though.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I wouldn't avoid the ceramic breaks, but I wouldn't seek them out, either. Unless you drive hard, you wouldn't see any benefit beyond marginally less brake dust. Mister Bally is bang on, doing your own work with proper Audi parts makes cost of maintenance and repairs quite manageable. A good manual, like the Bentley manual, and a Rosstech cable makes the majority of it pretty straightforward.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing a search on this forum will help you out a lot. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here and most things that you have questions on have been answered many times before.

Somethings you can look for that go wrong are:
Inside:
Armrests latch is broken
Rear sunshade doesn't work
B&O twitter doesn't go up or down
Outside:
Control Arms - drive it and does it clunk?
Oil Leaks - Check under the car and see if you see any oil, can be 1 of a few things or could be a combo of both.
Carbon Clean - Has it been done?
Trunk Motor - does it work?
Door handles - does the proxy sensors unlock the car when you put your hand in the door before pulling it? does the little black button lock the car on each door handle?
General maintenance - is it up to date?