A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advocate- Absolutely no help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advocate- Absolutely no help!

Today, I called the "advocate" to find out when cradles for the Motorola "Bluetooth" phones will be available. According to the website and my dealer- the cradles are "in planning." The advocate said to me on 4 seperate occassions "I will contact the dealer to find out when they will be available." I interrupted and said they have the same information as I do and they didn't build the car; so how would they know? And the response was "they should know." What a waste of time!
The bottom line is if you get a 2005 with Bluetooth you will have to "reprogram" your Motorola phone every time you take it out of the car and also- you will have to manually input your entire phonebook. You would think for the amount of $ spent on these cars that they would at least have a cradle available when the phone was introduced!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:57 AM

Default I don't think that we can blame Audi here.

Apparently the fault is with Motorola phones.
Which model do you have?
For some models, there is a fix for the problems that people are encouter when trying to sync their phone with their cars.

They could be using a different version of Bluetooth that may not work properly quite yet.
I know that the SonyEricsson phones work with no problems at all.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:20 AM

Default I "DO" blame Audi

I have a 2005 A8L.
The manual specifically says "attach to cradle to import directory" and to "connect." Verizon and AT & T are only using Motorola. SonyEricsson is being phased out. Also, the phone does not sync; transfers are done by the cradle only. The advocate only wants to call the dealer not Motorola or Audi!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Where did you see that SonyEricsson was phased out?

Does your phone have a SIM card?
Do you have the 710 model?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I could be wrong but I thought the cradle is their to provide...

power to the phone and access to the roof antenna for better reception. A BT phone should still use BT to synch with the car.

It is obvious from Audi's Bluetooth compatibility chart that Motorola is behind SonyEricsson in working with Audi to ensure interoperability. I would not be so quick to blame Audi.

Also, AT&amp;T is now Cingular and they DO sell and support SonyEricsson phones. After seeing a cool BT demo in a 2005 A6 with a SE T637, I bought one since I knew that it will work with my 2005 A8L.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiusa.com/common/images/bluetooth.pdf">Audi Bluetooth Compatibility Chart</a></li></ul>
Old 01-03-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Cradle is used to"import"

and recognize the phone. However, I am a Verizon customer and the new AT &amp; T happens to be a Motorola V551. Therefore, a Motorola cradle is needed.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Where did you see that SonyEricsson was phased out?

It is being replaced by Motorola V551 @ Cingular and AT&amp;T
Old 01-03-2005, 12:44 PM

Default They have a new SonyEricsson coming out.

The S710a.
Phone that is also a Digital camera (1.3 Megapixel)with Memory stick that can be put into it.
Cingular will the carrier selling it.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Advocate- Absolutely no help!

I have the Motorola v710 with BT from Verizon. You are correct that the phone book does not sync and I have a 50/50 chance of having the phone pair properly. It recognizes the phone every time but does not necessarily pair. I have to disconncet and the reconnect and then it works (could also reboot the phone). There is word that Motorola is working on firmware upgrades correcting some of the BT issues but who knows when they will be available.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default That just doesn't sound correct

If it's Bluetooth, it's got a wireless connection that it can use to talk to the main Bluetooth brain....it has no hard wired connections to the Bluetooth box....or at least that's what all the manuals I have say.

Are you sure about this?

Can you take a picture of the area under the center armrest and post it? I would be interested to see what is there....also, you could pop the cover off it and see what is below it....I can then tell you more.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/upgrades/phonecradled3.html">You can look what's under the armrest with this procedure</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Advocate- Absolutely no help!