A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFS headlights not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AFS headlights not working

2007 Audi A8L front headlights not working. Previous owner attempted driver side repair very poorly probably because of cracked wires within the headlight. Cut bottom of the light housing and the wires were reconnected using solderless connectors. Passenger side headlight was also replaced from a minor passenger side accident. Removed the driver side and waiting for a replacement light. However, passenger headlight only has day light driving light (inner light) on only. Turn light **** to other positions but nothing works except for the rear fog lights. Also, not sure if it's related but the passenger side turning LED marker light near the fender/door does not work either.

When activating the alarm, the turning lamp(orange color) in the passenger headlight and the driver side LED marker light does blink.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone have a headlight connector pin layout diagram? I am not getting voltage at the pins from the connector to the headlights?
Old 11-04-2021, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

As there are no replies I would assume no one has dealt with headlights wirings in the past...hard to believe. However, searching through AW, there is a post on the headlights are operated by a J519 module? Where can I find a 14 pin to 10 pin headlight adapter - AudiWorld Forums

Is this module also responsible for all the other lights(headlights, passenger side door/fender marker light, front vanity and "on/door/off" button) not working?
Old 11-05-2021, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Aldrich67
Anyone have a headlight connector pin layout diagram? I am not getting voltage at the pins from the connector to the headlights?

Somebody posted a repair manual with diagrams within the past month.

Is that what you are looking for ?
Old 11-08-2021, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have that link?

I did connect the passenger headlight to driver headlight connector and it works. I am not if I care about the pin layout as in reality, I wanted to know if it's a module or some broken wiring on the passenger side wiring harness.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Went to "Address 09: Cent. Elect." --> "Output test" and tried to turn on right(passenger) side daytime running light and high beam and it says "on" but nothing happens on the passenger side headlight. Did the same thing on the Driver side, everything works.

Is this controlled by J519, Body electric control module? If the module is defective, wouldn't it throw a code?

Anyone?
Old 11-29-2021, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

FWIW here's everything I I know about repairing non-functioning an A8 headlight with Audi's Advanced Front Lighting. I was getting the ding tone at start up and an error message about adaptive light failure; VAG COM said it was the right headlight. The lights would not move side to side when turning and the side illumination (cornering light did not come on in the right head light.

So I removed the right headlight and looked inside....there are a gagillion wires, many of which are very thin signal-type wires, and almost all of them were bare in sections of their length. I spent several very tedious hours cutting wires so I could sleeve with shrink tubing the soldering back together, soldering in new where possible and using liquid tape where I had to.

I also cut a hole in the housing to see if the wires to the motor that swivels the projector from side to side were in tact, but they were OK. When I put the headkight back in the car everything functioned and no error message.

That was two months ago. 2 days ago the message/ding came on...just learned today that it is the headlight I did not repair. I hate that I have to do it all again, but very glad it wasnt my repair gone bad ! I still have the cornering function in both lights, which is what is the most important to me. And the wiring in the now defective headlight looked OK when I did the other one, so I am suspecting that the motor wires imay be the culprit this time.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

My issue is not actually with the wiring inside the passenger side AFS(curve adaptive) headlight. When I swapped the headlights, passenger on the driver side connector worked, however, the driver side to the passenger has the same problem. Only the turn signal blinker works on the passenger side headlight and nothing else (no low beam or high beam). I did a voltage check and this what I see from both sides of the headlight connector pin #'s:

Auto mode: D: 4, 6; P: 4, 10
Park: D: 4, 6; P: 4, 10
On: 4, 6; P: 4, 10
Turn signal blinker: D: 9; P: 9

Red Squares indicate that there are no wire/pin.

So the question is why aren't the voltages on both sides for the same pin numbers? I really would like to have the connector pin diagram for a 12 pin connector similar to this one for a 10 pin below.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

No help...anyone?...crickets, crickets, crickets

Another update with the colors of the wires leading to the headlight connectors...Can someone with similar year/model (2007/A8L) car confirm the colors? TY

Last edited by Aldrich67; 12-16-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Aldrich67
Do you have that link?
see attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Quick Reply: AFS headlights not working