A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after the fact dual-pane glass installation ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after the fact dual-pane glass installation ?

Ordered a car today (!) It has everything I want except dual pane glass. It turns out that that is a _very rare_ option - only one car in the entire US had it, and it looks like that was by order, since that car is _sold_. Nobody has dual paned glass, and none of the cars in the pipeline have it.

So ... my options are to either custom order my own car, which seems silly since that would be a 4+ month wait (and since four months from now is exactly christmas, I bet it ends up being longer than four months) or to add it after the fact, and it looks like that will run about 5k for parts and labor if I do it through my dealer.

So ... any comments or suggestions ? Could I sell the glass I take out of the car ? Has anyone ridden in both a dual pane and a non dual pane, and can convince me it does not lower noise all that much ?

(because that is the only reason I want it - to lower noise...)

thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ugh... never mind ... have to order now.

the car that they were getting for me from another city ended up getting sold this morning before they could get a hold of them.

So I have to order a car, and that's that.

an aside: I am really surprised at how unloaded the average a8 that audi pumps out are ... you'd think alcantara and dual pane would be no brainers on a "loaded" car, but they are _extremely rare_, and they aren't even that expensive...
Old 08-22-2005, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 718 Likes on 507 Posts
Default My car has it. I can't comment on the glass being quieter than non-dual pane since I haven't driven

both versions at speed. I suspect there is some degree of sound insulation to be achieved. Perhaps some extreme temp insulation also?

I don't think it's THAT rare--although it would be rare on a non-sold order car in dealer stock, since the dealer would have to fudge an order to get this option. As for swapping glass, it might be more expensive than it's worth--even if it could be done--since you'd likely have to change out the window channels and window motors to accomodate the extra thickness and weight. Just a guess on this issue though. If it's that important to you, then it would be worth the wait--which I'd guess would be closer to a November delivery if the dealer can change a vehicle in his upcoming allocation.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Those here who have it say that it really is effective at reducing external noise.

I tried to get it on my vehicle but somewhere between the dealer and the factory, my dual-pane glass and auto door closers were missed. I could have refused delivery, but after waiting a long time, I accepted it as-is.

I will definitely order it on my next vehicle if it is available. I can't imagine trying to do that as a dealer installed option. I would prefer getting it done at the factory where it is a well-engineered process.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No problem, now you will get what you want!

I have the Alcantara option, it is very nice and gets many complements.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Congrats, finally! What color combo did you get? And you'll learn to love the new nose :-)
Old 08-22-2005, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

akoya / black ... just placed the order. November ...
Old 08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Akoya is great, almost went that route, but I'm a sucker for Black--and a sucker for cleaning my car

...I suppose :-) Just to be a PITA, did you consider either the Sand Beige or Sand Beige/Cream Beige interiors? I know they're more work to keep clean, but they really look fantastic w/Akoya.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Akoya is great, almost went that route, but I'm a sucker for Black--and a sucker for cleaning my

I am really bad at keeping things clean, so I give myself every advantage I can: silver or gray exteriors and black interiors.

So no, I actually never considered a lighter interior, being familiar with my own tendencies. Same with the exterior - it was simply a choice of which silver to get...
Old 08-22-2005, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A man who knows his limitations...Got to respect that!

Quick Reply: after the fact dual-pane glass installation ?