A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air suspension pump won't stop running

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension pump won't stop running

So after i turn off my car the air pump keeps going and i saw some smoke coming from it so i disconnected the battery and it seems the relay is broken from internet research, my question is: where is the relay for the air compressor?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonBackman
So after i turn off my car the air pump keeps going and i saw some smoke coming from it so i disconnected the battery and it seems the relay is broken from internet research, my question is: where is the relay for the air compressor?
Relayand fuse panel behind driver's knee bar. A PITA to remove to gain access.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not That Hard If You Bentley Service Manual

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Relayand fuse panel behind driver's knee bar. A PITA to remove to gain access.
You need to use a Hard Plastic Trim Removal Tool to pull off the Long Trim Piece that runs below the Dash Wood Trim. It is the Peace that is just below the Coin Tray. Remove the Coin Tray first before removing the Trim, but go Easy and be Gentle. Remove the Driver's Side Fuse Panel Cover and you will see 2 or 3 Screws to remove. There is 1 Screw next to the Steering Column behind the Trim Piece that you removed. The other 2 or 3 Screws are just beneath the Driver's Knee Panel. Once you remove the Panel you will see 3or 4 Relays in a Row left to right if I remember correctly it is the 1st Relay. Before you can pull the Relay out you have to remove the Bracket that is Blocking the Relays and you're set. Call your Audi Parts Dept and get the OEM Part# and Google it. You will Find OEM and OE Relays. They're not that Expensive, but I would stay away from the Super Cheap Relays as they are not OEM or OE Parts. Good luck and pray that you haven't overheated the Compressor. Laters,

Last edited by williebone; 11-22-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by williebone
You need to use a Hard Plastic Trim Removal Tool to pull off the Long Trim Piece that runs below the Dash Wood Trim. It is the Peace that is just below the Coin Tray. Remove the Coin Tray first before removing the Trim, but go Easy and be Gentle. Remove the Driver's Side Fuse Panel Cover and you will see 2 or 3 Screws to remove. There is 1 Screw next to the Steering Column behind the Trim Piece that you removed. The other 2 or 3 Screws are just beneath the Driver's Knee Panel. Once you remove the Panel you will see 3or 4 Relays in a Row left to right if I remember correctly it is the 1st Relay. Before you can pull the Relay out you have to remove the Bracket that is Blocking the Relays and you're set. Call your Audi Parts Dept and get the OEM Part# and Google it. You will Find OEM and OE Relays. They're not that Expensive, but I would stay away from the Super Cheap Relays as they are not OEM or OE Parts. Good luck and pray that you haven't overheated the Compressor. Laters,
Agreed that it is "easy" with the Bentley manual. I assume the OP does not have one so that's why they asked here. For example, to remove the coin tray, you see from the menual that you open the tray and then slightly slide the face of the coin tray to the left to disengae it. Then the trim piece can slide off over the drawer.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Coin Tray Removal

The coin tray bezel slides to the left for removal. Do it carefully as replacement cost is about $35. Here is the picture of it removed. The bezel has two posts that slide into the keeper, and break very easily.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...vp7Q34VMYrhQv0

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 11-23-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
The coin tray bezel slides to the left for removal. Do it carefully as replacement cost is about $35. Here is the picture of it removed. The bezel has two posts that slide into the keeper, and break very easily.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...vp7Q34VMYrhQv0
Been there, done that. However, a dab of Silastic or RTV works just fine if (make that when) you break a tab. You still can remove it later for service again. Just peel off all of the excess and re apply upon reassembly.

Agreed, g*e*n*t*l*y slide to the left!
Old 11-25-2010, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Air Suspension Troubleshooting

This should help you pinpoint problems as well with Air Suspension.

www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_292.pdf
Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SimonBackman
I'm having the same problem now and I'm about to order a new compressor. Before I do that, I want to know if it's the relay which is causing the problem? This would save me a ton of money. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KoolinA8L
I'm having the same problem now and I'm about to order a new compressor. Before I do that, I want to know if it's the relay which is causing the problem? This would save me a ton of money. Thanks.
If it won't stop when you turn off the ignition it is relay.

By the way, are you from Hawaii?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mishar
If it won't stop when you turn off the ignition it is relay.

By the way, are you from Hawaii?
I'm praying that you are right. I'm going to go pick up the relay and switch it out.

Nope..I'm from Houston, Texas. Maybe I should update my profile. Why did you ask?

Quick Reply: Air suspension pump won't stop running