A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMI Install problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMI Install problems

Thought I would seek wisdom from the group before escalating to the dealer...

I just finished installing an AMI in my 2007 A8L. Things went fairly well (although it was a bitch getting the CD unit out of the bay), however, the MMI doesn't recognize that the AMI is present. The CD player works fine, so I'm assuming that the fiber optic MOST cables are installed correctly. The CD has power, and I heard a distinct click when I inserted the power connector into the AMI (wish it had a LED to verify power). I'm running MMI version 3360, haven't programmed the VAG code, but don't believe I need to do it for the AMI to be recognized (see thread
Question for those that did the AMI self install). FWIW, I have a USB thumb drive connected to the AMI.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong or how to diagnose the problem? I suspect either a bad power connection to the AMI or the AMI unit itself.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's possible you have a component protection problem. Does it show up in the hidden menu (Car+setup for 5 secs, iirc) ?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The AMI doesn't normally go into component protection

Simplest way to see in the AMI has power is to plug in an ipod.

You need to have VagCom (or VAS)

If you are installing this as a second device then pin 5 (green) must be connected to Pin 4 (ground) This will select it as Media Player 2

If you are replacing the CD changer then leave Pin 5 unconnected and it will be selected as Media Player 1

I don't recommend replacing the CD changer as it is used for MMI software updates!

You need to tell the CAN Gateway (module 19) that Media Player 2 is installed

Dale
Old 04-01-2009, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since the CD player is in the fiber loop and running sounds like you installed everything OK. There are some concerns with power but if you used the retrofit kit from Audi yr fine.

Understand you are running MMI version 3360. Did you perform the update before or after you installed the AMI? Typically its not gonna update for something that isn't there.

If the AMI is in the MOST loop it may not be recognised by the MMI but it will at the very least report its VAG and Component number so it can be addressed. Try running the MMI update again.

just my 2¢
Old 04-01-2009, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update: I found another USB thumb drive with an onboard LED to test with, and have confirmed that there is power to the AMI. I'm thinking that I need to enter the update code via VAG-com to have the AMI recognized by the MMI (as per dalep's reply).

And to further clarify the situation, I installed the Audi retrofit kit, so I have both CD and AMI installed. Being an '07, the car was already at 3360, so I haven't done anything to upgrade the MMI s/w level.

So, any chance there is someone in the Detroit area with VAG-com that could help me out? I'm also going to be in Chicago this weekend, in case there's anyone nearby and with time available.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

Unless you update the Gateway to the fact the Device 2 is connected it will not show up in the options list under CD/TV > SOURCE

Dale
Old 04-27-2009, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I took my car to the local dealer, who happily charged me 1 hour labor to code the vehicle per the Audi instructions, but the AMI was not recognized when I got the vehicle back. The service manager suggested that the instructions might be incorrect and said I would need to leave the car for a day for them to work on it.

Here are the instructions from the Audi installation manual. I'm not an expert, but they seem pretty straight forward to me. Are there any experts out there that recognize any errors in these instructions?

2.5 Coding Vehicle

- Connect a suitable vehicle diagnostic to the vehicle.
- In function "Guided functions", code "19 Diagnostic interface for data bus" to "Media unit position 2".
- Remove component protection on newly installed CD changer. (i.e. the AMI)
- Erase fault memory.
- Read fault memory again.

The retrofit must be documented in Software Versions Management (SVM). Proceed as described in the following:
- In Guided fault finding, select Functions and Selection of Components using the Goto button.
- Select test program "Direct entry of SVM code for vehicle conversion in Software Versions Management (SVM).
- Enter code "050 170" when requested.
After successfully completing the action, the vehicle with the conversion/equipment is registered in the data bank at Audi.

- Check function of AMI control unit and/or CD changer.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 AM

The only error I see is that there is no component protection on the AMI, the instructions were written as for a generic second CD player (which does have component protection). It is very likely that an update of MMI will install any missing components which were not allready installed. The AMI is and should be plug and play.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did the dealer update the MMI, Update beyond the current level and as long as the dealer DID add the required setting to Multimedia Device 2 then all should be OK.