A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMI iPod Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

After reading this I think the Dension 500 is a better option for most. It remembers where you were in the song after disconnecting and reconnecting the phone and it also doesn't force the phone into the ipod app so you can stream with a direct connection.

The iPod's A2DP Bluetooth bandwidth, for lack of a better term: sucks. So any time you can use a direct connection for sound instead of bluetooth it's better.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice bit of kit but I not that affiliated to the Audi brand that I would pay over the odds for an item like that - I am happy with an OEM non-branded case with a £25 640gb 2 1/2 drive in it.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third party solutions

Originally Posted by Edd W
Nice bit of kit but I not that affiliated to the Audi brand that I would pay over the odds for an item like that - I am happy with an OEM non-branded case with a £25 640gb 2 1/2 drive in it.
Somewhere back in time I remember hearing rumblings that some hard drives didn't work with the AMI. I believe it had something to do with drawing more power than the AMI could supply through the USB interface. The item I referenced came with an Audi owner's recommendation that it worked. Please report back to the forum if you find a non-Audi branded solution that also works.

In the meantime, I'm sticking to my USB memory stick.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I reckon it is 2 1/2" drives are OK and 3 1/2" drives draw too much power - unless you power them from the cig lighter via a separate lead of course....
Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have now bought and fitted the AMI. I only needed the unit itself as I already have the split power and optical link from the previous 2nd multi CD chnager so it took about 2 mins to swap it over.
I cannot see it in the MMI - should it just show as it has replaced the multi CD drive or will I have to make a chnage as per this post?
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-...ofit-info.html
Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

While in the CD/Aux menu (in US, might be Media in UK), press "source" via the top right MMI corner button. What does it show? Should show one entry for AMI and one for CD (at least, would also show TV tuner if you have one along with the 2 Aux inputs).
Old 05-19-2011, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It just shows the one CD changer. I suspect I may need a software update.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

do you have Ross Tech Vag-com/VCDS?

I didn't need to do this but in the CAN Gateway module, you need to go into installed components or something along those lines and check media player 2.

As far as S/W version, UK/Euro software has different numbering so check Tyresmoke for what you need at minimum.

Finally, if your are coded correctly and your S/W is sufficient, the only other idea I have is that your CAN bus splitter is not wire on the second split end for media player 2. One of the wires is supposed to go to a different pin (search my posts, I posted the exact pin somewhere). Mine wasn't wired right at first and it still worked but maybe it wouldn't in UK/Euro systems.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good idea about the cable but I left the cables in place which were working fine for the 2nd CD changer so I assume it should be OK. Should I try the cables which came with the AMI kit do you think?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
Should I try the cables which came with the AMI kit do you think?
Definitely worth a try if everything else I mentioned is in order and it's still not working.

IIRC, if any of the MOST connections were bad the whole system wouldn't function since the MOST is a fiber optic loop.

Quick Reply: AMI iPod Options