A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMI Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMI Question

I have been STFA's and looking into this AMI option. I am interested in it but I would rather drive my car off a cliff before purchasing/using an Apple product. Has anyone successfully used a ZuneHD or know if it will work?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea what "STFA's" means. To answer your question, I don't think ANYONE has successfully used a ZuneHD.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default AMI connector cables

Originally Posted by Projekt 8E
I have been STFA's and looking into this AMI option. I am interested in it but I would rather drive my car off a cliff before purchasing/using an Apple product. Has anyone successfully used a ZuneHD or know if it will work?
There are four different cables to connect devices to the AMI, terminating in:
  • Ipod adapter (p/n 4F0-051-510-E)
  • USB adapter (p/n 4F0-051-510-G)
  • Mini-USB adapter (p/n 4F0-051-510-H)
  • 3.5mm stereo/headphone plug (p/n 4F0-051-510-F)
I'm not familiar with the Zune, but unless it has the Ipod style connector, you will be forced to use one of the other three - likely either the USB or headphone plug.

I use a USB flash drive for music, and have full control to select songs/etc using the MMI. This doesn't work when a player is attached via the headphone jack. The $64,000 question is whether you can control the Zune when it is connected via the USB connector. If so, then that would be your best option.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Search The Forum Archives...

...Though some think it has a more colorful allusion at times
Old 04-09-2010, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Right on. Thanks for the details. I would doubt that the USB would give me control of the device, but I am ok using a flash drive as well. I'm assuming it doesn't have a limit on what it will accept as far as size of the drive is concerned.

Since I already have your attention...how much do these AMI setups go for these days?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMI

Not sure of the going rate, I got mine 2 years ago on ebay. At the time was much cheaper than going through dealer, if the dealer could even get one.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Thats usually the case...I'm still a little raw from purchasing a $32 oil filter/crush washer from them.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

subit0,

Quick question.

I have the Demension Gateway GW500 and the one problem I have with it, is that is does not scroll long MP3 ID Tags/Song Names.

Does the AMI suffer this same issue ?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Song name scrolling

Originally Posted by Maxster4.2
I have the Demension Gateway GW500 and the one problem I have with it, is that is does not scroll long MP3 ID Tags/Song Names.

Does the AMI suffer this same issue ?
I think it is the MMI that controls the display of the song names and info. And no, it does not scroll this info, so song names are truncated.

For a USB flash drive connected to the AMI, the basic MMI display shows the folder name on the top line, followed by a list of filenames that you can scroll through and select. My files are named "artist-song"<artist><artist><song name=""><song>, so if the artist name is long you may not see the song in the list. I wish that it would just display the song portion of the filename, which is what is displayed in the small display between tach and speedo. I'm currently running MMI 3360, and wondering if a software upgrade to the latest version might change how this info is displayed.</song></song></artist></artist>
Old 04-12-2010, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Does Zune offer Bluetooth?

Originally Posted by Projekt 8E
Wow! What did Apple do to **** you off?

I connect to my AMI via my bluetooth and the Audi Bluetooth Adapter. It works great--it connects without having to take my phone out of my pocket and picks up wherever I left off. I can also stream Pandora or any other apps which I can listen to on headphones. If Zune offers bluetooth you should be ok.

Quick Reply: AMI Question