A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMI Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's not apple, its the mindless drones that get off on their products :)

Originally Posted by Rowlie
Wow! What did Apple do to **** you off?

I connect to my AMI via my bluetooth and the Audi Bluetooth Adapter. It works great--it connects without having to take my phone out of my pocket and picks up wherever I left off. I can also stream Pandora or any other apps which I can listen to on headphones. If Zune offers bluetooth you should be ok.
Tell me more about this bluetooth. Does it actually sync up with the phone for phone calls? I started to remove that cancerous phone cradle in my center console over the weekend only to realize that it leaves a nastier hole than I had anticipated. I want to hardwire in a phone charger plug that comes out in that space, but only if I can have bluetooth so I don't have to raise the center console each time I get a call.

Please tell me it syncs phones!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it syncs phones. I think it only works for streaming audio. I have a 2004 a8 and got a BMW bluetooth upgrade module (BTUM) to handle the phone. I had to pair my phone with the BTUM to get it to work in place of the now worthless OnStar, and pair it again with the Audi Bluetooth to get the music to stream.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default update?

has anyone found out anything new about using the Zune with AMI besides what's up already been posted here?
Old 06-14-2010, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Unfortunately...

Originally Posted by Hennessy
has anyone found out anything new about using the Zune with AMI besides what's up already been posted here?
I have researched this extensively and I can say with certainty that your (and my) Zune will not plug in. The adapter actually fits (really tight) but no go. There are no converter plugs, except for some home-made jobs. Even those don't permit control of the Zune through the MMI.

I haven't given in yet and purchased an iPod. Unfortunately, I purchased my Zune 2 weeks before I purchased my '05 A8 (without BlueTooth). It just offends my sensibilities to go spend money to replace a brand new toy.

I use the headphone jack method. That pipes through the FM stereo. It works but I can never find a really clear station to keep it parked on and get a clear signal. Also, on long trips I have to keep locating different stations to get reception. That bites because it defeats the purpose of crystal clear digital.

Anyway, it sucks but that's the way it is. Sorry bud...
Old 06-14-2010, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default know the feeling

Yeah I'd hate to give in and buy an ipod again. iTunes is the devil to me so I feel your pain. May have to see if I can find a used one on ebay and look for some third party software to load it with as another option. Thanks for your response though.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

What about hooking up a generic bluetooth dongle to the USB cable of the AMI? I have an iPod cable, so I cannot test it, but I would love to be able to stream music through the bluetooth of my blackberry.....
Old 06-15-2010, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tashakes
What about hooking up a generic bluetooth dongle to the USB cable of the AMI? I have an iPod cable, so I cannot test it, but I would love to be able to stream music through the bluetooth of my blackberry.....
Why not get Audi's Bluetooth adapter? It works well. I get in and it starts automatically. I can stream music or almost any radio station on the web.

Before I had that, I just kept an old iPod nano hooked up. I imagine you can pick one up on eBay for about $20. Or load up a flash drive.

You're driving an $80,000 car. Why frustrate yourself every time you get in over a couple hundred bucks.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

because I hate iTunes. probably try the flash drive bit. What is this Audi bluetooth adapter you speak of?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rowlie
Why not get Audi's Bluetooth adapter? .
I'll look into it, but it takes all the fun out of discovering cheaper alternatives. On my previous E500, I was able to use the BMW puck instead of the MB one. $170 vs $300. I would imagine someone took the initiative to see if it works, and it did. I was just wondering if anyone did it.....
Old 06-16-2010, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bluetooth Streaming Audio
Item Number: 4F0051510J
Advanced Audio Distribution Profile designed to transfer 2 channel stereo audio wirelessly from one device to another. The Audi Bluetooth adapter kit includes a USB AMI cable, Bluetooth adapter and Flash drive that contains the software upgrade required to be applied to the MMI system to support this function. Newer cars may already have the updated MMI software. The MMI will determine if an upgrade to the software is needed. 2G systems only. Only for streaming music, not for Bluetooth telephony.
Compatible with Audi models equiped with MMI

Audi's website link:
http://www.audi-collection.com/itemd...Level=21&lcat=

Quick Reply: AMI Question