A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever replace MMI interface?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone ever replace MMI interface?

Looking to purchase this 04\A8 and the MMI screen is totally blank. Seller ]lls me that it needs a new MMI interface. Does this sound right and how much is this cost usually? ONce the new interface is installed should all functions work properly? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike141
Looking to purchase this 04\A8 and the MMI screen is totally blank. Seller ]lls me that it needs a new MMI interface. Does this sound right and how much is this cost usually? ONce the new interface is installed should all functions work properly? Thanks.
Around 2k for a new unit. Although that could not be the only problem. I'd go with the guy to the dealership to have it diagnosed, if that is all buy the car and the MMI fix right there and then. I wouldn't touch it until I had it looked at; those computer systems are SUPER expensive.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the Dealership run Optical Line Break Test to see which of those Units are not working. It could be the Nav, Radio, Amp, Sat Radio, CD Changer, Telematics, or the 07 Control Head. If that Test doesn't prove anything then get an Optical Loop Test Ring an Start Removing the Optical Lines. You will see a Red Optical Light come on when you turn the Keys to start the car, but don't start it. Because Audi uses a Ring Pattern instead of a Start Pattern to connect all Infotainment Units it only take 1 Bad Unit to bring the intire MMI System Down.

Don't let any of this Scare you from buying the Car. Just negotiate a Good Deal so that you can pay for the work to be performed by Audi ($3000). After you have negotiated the Deal then come back an Start a Thread on how to Fix MMI 07 Control Head. I will help you get a Brand New Unit for under $400 show you how to Drop the Glove Box and Plug in the New Unit. It will come with the Component Protection removed so you'll just Plug & Play. My money is on the Control Head since it is the same thing that happened to me. This is why I know how to Replace it and if you can remove 4 or 5 Screws the Glove Box Drop Down and there it is.

The Dealership will charge between $80 to $120 and hour, but they may not find the problem unless they start unplugging each Unit which will cost you a good 3 hours of Labor. Take the short road and make the Deal telling the seller how much this is going to cost you ($3000+) and come here with the New Thread. I paid $17,900 Cash & Carry (they wanted $24K) almost 2 years ago, so you should be able to get an A8 for $16,500 minus your Repairs. Look like a sweet deal to me if you can pull it off. Laters,

P.S. Although it's highly unlikely, if it is one of the other Units I can get you those with a 6 Month Warrantee (Used) for a few hundred dollars. So, don't let anything scare you from Stealing A Great Deal if this is the Car you want. Just make sure Service Records are Up To Date or Receipts for Services Performed!

Last edited by williebone; 10-20-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's a deal of work lol. I'd say listen here me and you are going to take your car to get looked at if all checks out we figure out a price
Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike141
Yes, I have DIY replaced the MMI controller in my D3. Keep in mind, this requires significant work as one must drop the glove box to access the part which requires you to disconnect the knee airbag (if done properly)using the procedure outlined in the service manual (a sequence for disconnecting the battery without throwing an airbag deploy code)

Also, at minimum it will require time at the dealer to reset the component protection fault that will kick in once you connect the new controller. The CP fault can only be reset by an Audi dealer not via VAG COM since the vehicle must be connected to Audi's stolen parts database.

I paid approx $700 for a refurb controller (after core charge) from genuineaudiparts.com. Did the install myself, had the dealer do the CP reset charging me two hrs of labor

You may also need to re-VAG some settings once the CP has been reset especially if your Tech is not up to speed on all A8 sound sys settings.

All in all, I'd rate this a 6 out of 10 on the DIY scale (10 being the most challenging

Found all the info I needed to DIY here on AW. Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a Source that sells them Brand New with Component Protection removed for less than $400. Shipping takes about 2 weeks but it's well worth it when you consider the savings. Don't buy Refurbs when you can buy New and do not buy from the Dealer. I give a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. It wasn't that Hard. Laters,

P.S. It also comes with the TV Option and your choice of Custom Start Up Screen.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, the seller said he ordered it from Audi and was going to have Audi install it at his cost. Now I want to purchase the car, but there's no way I can test anything until this is repaired, but I don't want to lose this one. It is the color, options I have been looking for. Wonder if I should place a deposit with him pending the repair or he said he'd sell it to me AS is for 1K cheaper but there's no way I'm doing that. There's just no way I know right now that is that is the only thing wrong with the car
Old 10-23-2010, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubtful he will be able to sell it to anyone until the MMI is repaired. I would sit tight and don't let the "bug" get to you!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah you don't want to get burned, also check to see how the tranny is. Make sure it doesnt make a hooting noise or hard shift once the car is warmed up or driven after 15 minutes. Just punch the accelerator when cruising.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default That Doesn't Add Up!

I know for a Fact that he will spend between $1300 and $1600 for the Control Head and Audi will charge him around $700 to install it. So, he's going to pay $2000+ but will only discount it $1000. He would need to drop his asking price around $3K to sell it As Is. I would ask him to Provide a Service Check-Up so that you can see what's Wrong with this Car. You've got to figure that since he's going to have it Serviced, then what's a few more Bucks for a Diagnostics, Suspension, Brakes & Visual Check-Up. It should be Free with an Audi Coupon or only about an Hour Labor Rate. Good luck! Laters,

Last edited by williebone; 10-23-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever replace MMI interface?