A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had experience with windshield replacement on the D3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone had experience with windshield replacement on the D3?

Mine has a crack about 3 inches long extending from the base of the screen running vertically under the passenger side wiper blade.
What is recommended - Dealer or autoglass replacement service? OEM or aftermarket glass?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think several folks here have had the same problem...

they had to convince the dealer that it was a defect and not from a rock chip in order to get Audi to pay for a replacement. Definitely get OEM glass.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree with geordie. Regardless where the fault lies, get OEM glass.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My windshield was replaced by Audi in month #1.

My '04 A8L windshield had a "smudge" within the glass, right in my field of vision. It was replaced by my Audi dealer, within warantee. They "farm out" windshield replacement to an outside auto glass shop, who then travel to Audi and replace the glass "on-site." The replacement glass was OEM, a perfect job, and they even managed to replace my inspection sticker.

My experience was positive. It took one day, and I was asked to allow the adhesive to set a few days before going to a car wash.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This is the way to do it. Always get Audi involved from the beginning!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interesting! Thanks for the replies. Audi dealer that ..

sold me the car: price $580 ..installed. Glass in stock, adhesive on order. Will check to see if this should be covered under warranty.
Audi dealer closer to where I work: "No glass in stock, no glass in the country at any dealer (how interesting is that!) glass must come in from Germany, price unknown"
Aftermarket autoglass replacement service: "OEM glass not available in the US, aftermarket windshield $868 before installation and tax but, aftermarket screen not available and no idea when it will be available"
So - looks like my dealer gets the job and the Audi dealer near where I work is not getting close to my car!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Anyone had experience with windshield replacement on the D3?

took a stone and had a crack that insurance covered...had the glass shipped to Md from Texas, 3 days, and then installled by a local glass guy...no problems at all
Old 07-06-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: A new windshield on the D3.

Just 3 weeks ago had a new Audi windshield replaced on a 4 day old car. The AOA field rep and I had a BIG argument about the cause, he claimed it was a rock, but I claimed it was a stress factor, NO dings in the windshield at all.
In the end they replaced it at their cost. No problems, squeeks, or wind noise at all. The installation was just as good as the factory, maybe better in my case.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You may untie the AoA rep now! LOL
Old 07-07-2005, 01:22 PM

Default I had the exact same thing happen. Dealer said

that it was caused from the wiper arm being dropped before the blade was installed at the dealership. They said the arm has a hard plastic shipping cover on it and the blades are installed by the dealer when preeping the car.

Even though I lived 250 miles from selling dealer they told me to take it to my local dealer and get a new one installed and they would reimburse me. Took two days to get the windshield and two more days to get the check.

Great service by both dealerships.

Quick Reply: Anyone had experience with windshield replacement on the D3?