A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armrest lid removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Armrest Removal.pdf (311.1 KB, 3 views)
Great info! Is that from the Bently DVD (I hope)?

-Tom
Old 03-02-2012, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K9COP
hey buddy, if you get some instructions, would you be able to send them on please?

K9
Did you look at the link attached? I don't think you can get much more detailed than that.

From the Bentley DVD. It is a worthwhile purchase if you own this car.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Didn't even see it... LOL

great work detective, eh? Thanks so much...

K9

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
Did you look at the link attached? I don't think you can get much more detailed than that.

From the Bentley DVD. It is a worthwhile purchase if you own this car.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info here.
I just had the same problem.
When I took the armrest apart, the lid has a rod that popped out of the fork on top of the piston. A pretty rubbish design as it's only held by friction and so as the rod wears the friction is no longer enough to hold the rod in the fork, so if you pull the lid up quickly all the way up, it moves faster than the piston and pulls out.

I put it back in, but after some testing, it popped out again.
I need to make some sort of thing to keep it in.

For anyone else doing this, just prize the flock-sprayed insert out of the underside of the lid starting at the opposite end to the button.
Then get a torch and flat blade screwdriver and look in the aperture between the hinges and push down the black crown and flip the piston forward and release it so it engages in the lid again. It saves dismantling the whole thing.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure if this is a route any one would really want to take but I remember mine got stuck in the same position when I was an hour away from home. I figured I'll take it apart when I get home but well on the road home on the highway I got bored and started picking up the flap and just dropping it (letting it bounce)... childish I know. After about a mile or two it just fell shut and has worked fine ever since. Probably not the best route but hey, it worked for me and saved me some time with taking it apart.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally fixed my passenger armrest after driving with it popped up for the past 2 months. What a pain. I got it all back together, and then when screwing back in the torx screws the top popped back open and the piston part obviously got stuck again. Disassembled, made sure to put it back together without letting the top open too much. Working fine now but I am making a mental note to never open the passenger armrest again. What a dumb design.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So there's nowhere to purchase a replacement piston assembly?
Old 04-23-2016, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

05SilverA8 - You're a lifesaver. My 7 year old grandson managed to do the same damage to the armrest of my '05 Northern Blue Pearl A8L. The short arm rest removal instruction and the Armrest removal pdf are great. Thank you for helping out.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone know where to get that damper? Mine are gone. Now when I know that those are broken, I can't sleep Earlier I was fine because I didn't know anything about the dampers.

The model is Stabilus stab-o-shock 2928RR

https://goo.gl/photos/LJDJVLt7iWKuDFSj8
Old 06-20-2020, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi, my arm rest cover was wobbly, so I took it apart and noted the plastic hinge pins the armrest cover pivots on were loose.
I tried pressing them in with channel locks, but they did not click in, the just squirmed right back out when I lifter the cover.
Below are pictures of my pins, (2009 A8L)
Anyone have any advice on how to press them back in so they stay??

For anyone interested I provided pictures of the pistons with their labeling. The brand on them was AIRAX, S14265 4, 5000563434A0, F1=100N 275/0? (i can't read all the numbers so they may be off)
Mine no longer expand out so they dont do anything, I don't plan on replacing them as the hunt for an equivalent would be quite a bit. but if anyone has found replacements, let us know.

Last edited by Sci-fi_Wasabi; 06-20-2020 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NRX7 (12-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Armrest lid removal