A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 2009 Problem with Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi A8 2009 Problem with Suspension

Hi, everyone
I was wondering if someone can help me out. My Audi A8 2009 4.2 L does not want to get down to "dynamic". It gets up to "lift" and it gets down to "comfort" but does not switch to "dynamic". And in addition, yesterday I drove a different Audi same model and everything on " comfort " and I felt like the ride was a lot smoother and less bumpier compared to my car. I'd love to read some opinions or ideas of what the problem could be.Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You need VCDS scan. If the ride is bumpy suspension could be in the limp mode for some reason. To find it VCDS is the best way.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Or ride height could be set too low. When I bought my car it was set very low and the ride wasn't great. After setting the ride height properly with VCDS ride is nice and smooth. That might explain why it won't go any lower in dynamic. But the key is a VCDS scan.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Denislav39
Hi, everyone
I was wondering if someone can help me out. My Audi A8 2009 4.2 L does not want to get down to "dynamic". It gets up to "lift" and it gets down to "comfort" but does not switch to "dynamic". And in addition, yesterday I drove a different Audi same model and everything on " comfort " and I felt like the ride was a lot smoother and less bumpier compared to my car. I'd love to read some opinions or ideas of what the problem could be.Thanks in advance.
Doesn't the car get rid of Dynamic mode when it is in towing mode? (The opposite of jack mode) This happened to me once
Old 01-26-2016, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Junius
Doesn't the car get rid of Dynamic mode when it is in towing mode? (The opposite of jack mode) This happened to me once
Yes it does. Also disables rear parking sensors. Tweaks ESP to minimize trailer sway too, but presumably not what you would want when not towing. Ideally this stuff should be locked out to begin with if there is no tow bar, but I suppose someone could have tweaked it.

As suggested earlier, it also seemed like it could be ride height related where effectively the lowest setting is beyond the sensors' range.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Junius
Yes it does. Also disables rear parking sensors. Tweaks ESP to minimize trailer sway too, but presumably not what you would want when not towing. Ideally this stuff should be locked out to begin with if there is no tow bar, but I suppose someone could have tweaked it.

As suggested earlier, it also seemed like it could be ride height related where effectively the lowest setting is beyond the sensors' range. Need a scan as mentioned, and perhaps a basic measurement to top of fender (along with tire size since stock running diameters vary some depending on which it is) when in Comfort.

BTW, for OP, yes ride deteriorates if someone mods the ride height and pushes it too low. I found on stock 275/35 20 summers, when I tweaked it any more than 5-10mm it started to be noticeable--and was worse yet in dynamic. Caused me--together with concerns about its leading chin design and practical driveway and road dip issues--to back it off to only a minor drop.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
You need VCDS scan. If the ride is bumpy suspension could be in the limp mode for some reason. To find it VCDS is the best way.
Thank you thats what vcds scan shows
Old 02-24-2016, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

No errors? If there are no errors i would recommend you do a suspension level calibration and start there.

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Suspension Level Control Calibration
Old 02-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
No errors? If there are no errors i would recommend you do a suspension level calibration and start there.

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Suspension Level Control Calibration
Yes no errors
Old 02-24-2016, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Denislav39
Thank you thats what vcds scan shows
Perform full scan and post it here.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 2009 Problem with Suspension