A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi key set replacement questions. please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason I'm thinking of this option is because I can get the Set plus ecu for 150. The tearing up and installment I can do with no problems. The dealership is asking 350 for the key plus the towing would be 50to100. Figured I could save around 250 by doing this
Old 09-16-2015, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

$350 for a pair of keys isn't too bad.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by djikonatx
I can get all this in the pic with matching ecu, but I'm wondering if this is all I would need to make it work....
Found this in another thread. No idea if it works. If it does work you should only have to swap out the door and the trunk lock as I don't think the dash ignition switch has tumblers.

Again no clue if this actually works.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8185343AA35CGR
Old 09-16-2015, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by djikonatx
I can get all this in the pic with matching ecu, but I'm wondering if this is all I would need to make it work....
You would need this:

https://eurochopshop.com/shop/a8-s8-...8-a8l-2007-07/

And it's a lot more that $150
Old 09-17-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

On my A4 i bought a pair of OEM keys off ebay (part number verified) for $80 then changed out the actual key blade and immobilizer chip, then had the dealer reprogram them. I dont know why it needed the reprogramming since it was basically just a new shell around my key blade and immo chip but it did.

From this I would gather that you could get a pair of keys off line, have a local lock smith recut the blade to your vin and be way under $350 the dealer wants.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Pothole5000
On my A4 i bought a pair of OEM keys off ebay (part number verified) for $80 then changed out the actual key blade and immobilizer chip, then had the dealer reprogram them. I dont know why it needed the reprogramming since it was basically just a new shell around my key blade and immo chip but it did.

From this I would gather that you could get a pair of keys off line, have a local lock smith recut the blade to your vin and be way under $350 the dealer wants.
D3 keys are special. Not the key part but the transmitter. You can buy them online but they are expensive. Also the OP no longer has a key.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Usually, you get what you pay for. OP, give the $150.00 special a try and let us know how it goes. Remember, not too many of us will be able to find a deal like that.
IMO, I'm thinking the engine ecu will mismatch your new one not allowing the car to turn on nor start. Then you need to pay for component protection reprogramming.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys . Really appreciate the info. Had one question though, what module is the one that takes the signal from the key allowing the car to turn on? Kessy?sorry not to familiar with exact terminology or names of modules. And location on vehicle would also help. I was up all night trying to look for location of the 2 modules shown in the above link but couldn't fine an exact answer. Hopefully this will work . In a couple BMWs I would just change the locks and the module that communicates with transmitter and it would work fine. Hopefully this is the same.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If it were mine, I would have the car towed to the dealer and let them supply and program the following

1pc Valet key
3 pc Advanced Key (Standard Key)

The dealer will need a copy of your Driver's License (owner verification).

I do not believe that any modules need to be replaced. I remember reading about a special procedure where all of the keys need to be removed from the list of authorized keys and the new keys programmed. It isn't difficult, just lengthy.

On the plus side the dealer should wash your car for free.

Last edited by richard-tx; 09-18-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The A8 D3 (4E) needs either online programming of keys to factory server, via VAS dealer equipment, OR a tool called Abrites (aftermarket OFFLINE "hack" equipment).

Either way, today all cars have an immobilizer chip in the keys (as ours), but ours has a "special" immobilizer chip, and a special "kessy" module, that can NOT be programmed OFFLINE with the dealer equipment. ~95% of cars can be programmed offline with dealer equipment. So if you don't want it towed, try to get someone with "Abrites", tough i think it's hard to find anyone near with it, because the equipment costs like thousands of euros, and needs special licences for like every car brand!

So you need to have the kessy module AND engine ECU to match with the key immobilizer chip to get it working. Then if the donor car has other options than your, you will most likely need to program both kessy and engine ECU.

AND if you again happen to loose all keys, then you are screwed, you can't even order a new key from the dealer anymore, if you don't have all info from the donor car.

A new key costs around 150€/USD, programming everything from free to 90€ in Finland (31€ in Tallin Estonia). Part number 4E0837220 IF "normal" key, 4E0837220M IF "advanced key" = keyless entry.

I bought an used key for 40€, with wrong blade, got a blade for like 4€ and cutting 8€ so 52€. Then programming attempt 31€, so 83€ for a broken key. Can't recommend buying an used key (or anything with electronics) online anymore!

Quick Reply: audi key set replacement questions. please help!!