A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi's Navigation versus MB's Navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi's Navigation versus MB's Navigation system

I previous owned an Audi 2004 A8L. Sold it after about a year, the first version of the D3 just didn't have enough bells & whistle for me.

Since this time Audi has made several improvements to the A8 including, increasing the HP to 350, offering a sports package, Sirus Radio, MP3 compatibility on the CD changer, etc...

I am seriously looking at a 2007 A8 and some slightly used 2006 Mercedes Benz models. My question is how does the Audi Navigation systems compare to the navigation on the MB (pre-2007)? I feel very comfortable with the Audi Navigation system. I use the Navigation system quite frequently, I am not that familiar with the MB Command system, seems pretty antiquated to me. Can people please comment on the two

Also how does the Audi Bluetooth functions compare to the MB interface. Many thanks,
Old 01-04-2007, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Audi's Navigation versus MB's Navigation system

Are your speaking of the Audi's MMI vs MB's Command? Navigation is just a part of MMI. You seem to be mixing apples and oranges here?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Speaking strictly of the navigation system, the Audi's MMI definitely trumps Mercedes' pre-2007 COMAND interface.

I had an '04 SL500 with the COMAND and navigation and it was clumsy - not to mention an extremely annoying feature that sets the clock according to the GPS system, as my wife likes to set our clocks a couple of minutes ahead given my usual tardiness!

I'll reserve my judgement of the Gen2 COMAND as I have an S550 on order and from some brief playing around as part of my research, it seems a definite improvement over Gen1; and a voice input feature for addresses seems to work pretty well on a couple of tries at the dealership.

The MMI is definitely easier to use and more intuitive than the Gen1 COMAND and is preferred by me.

Just for another point of reference, the improved iDrive is still just bloody awful.

But the best navigation interface I've experienced is in our Lexus SUV. It's a touch screen system and is very easy to use and utterly intuitive with the need for a manual. The ONLY annoying feature is that it will not allow destination input while the car is in motion so even my wife sitting in the passenger seat cannot program it on the fly. If Lexus can get themselves over that liability induced fear and feature, then it ought to be completely awesome.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Roy, is the Lexus Nav a Denso unit? My 05 Range Rover has this as well and there is a "nav hack" to enable entering addresses while in motion. I have heard the hack was eliminated in the 07 versions of the Land Rover system. I'll be happyto share the info if you have the Denso system.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default there's an overide that I found for the lexus. look around the net it's out there and simple to do w

works for all toyota's and lexus. can't think of it right now but you have to go in i think setup and volume hold down top left and bottom left of screen then gps and overide something like that.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

had 05 e-class. the comand nav sucked.
difficult to program a destination and several incidents of inaccuracy in the map mode.
audi is easier, 5 yr old acura system better still.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:20 PM

Sorry, I just wanted to compare the Navigation systems
Old 01-05-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Enough has been said about the Nav system from the other guys, but the Bluetooth

in the Audi is probably THE best in the industry.
Easiest to pair with your phone (it was a pain in the butt on the Lexus and the BMW) and the Audi is the one that pulls the most info from your phone: Phone Book (from SIM card), Missed calls, Received Calls and even Dialed Numbers!
All this pulls on the screen and also on the Driver Information Display. It's very easy.
Plus the Voice command for the phone is really cool. You can also "import" your phone book into the car and asign a "Name Tag" for each contact.
By far the best system on the market.
It only takes about 40 seconds for your phone to pair with the car. You do all the pairing from the phone one time and .... voila!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Enough has been said about the Nav system from the other guys, but the Bluetooth

Thanks for all the info it was very helpful - I think i am sold on the 07 A8
Old 01-11-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Enough has been said about the Nav system from the other guys, but the Bluetooth

i like to trickle into the D3 forum every now and then to spy on you D3 owners.. tetehehe..

I always end my day reading this section and getting very very jeolous.

My D2 is ancient. :-/